Raymond Weil

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Bill Manders, Mar 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Bill Manders, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Just bought this one as the price was right, at least I thought so.
    Buttttt, does anyone notice anything different about this watch dial ?
    Just wondering. I notice the pic seems a little blurry, but you should be able to see what I am talking about anyway. Actually I guess not, I am used to pocket watches rather than wrist watches, my thought was that the six was upside down, and on PW there generally is no 6 because the seconds chapter is there, So I guess is was a not so smart question.
    Bill

Raymond Weil 001.jpg

2. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bill, just wondering where the tritium lume is on your dial?

3. Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not being a real ww afficienado, what are you talking about :???:?
    Bill

4. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Apologies Bill. The dial is marked ‘T Swiss T’ indicating that it has Tritium as a luminescent material on it for low light viewing. I mention it as I can’t see any.

5. Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting, Would the untrained eye notice that, and if so what should I be seeing.
    I only ask as I just bought this watch recently second hand, and it was purchased at a very high end jeweller in the US. This jeweler I think by looking them up on the web page, refurbishes very expensive watches to the same standard that they leave the factory according to their web page, and I must admit it looks new, but what do I know. I am not suggesting this is a very expensive watch, but they do Rolexes, paquet, omegas etc.
    I do have a reference number for this watch, so if something is not right I might contact them and ask, not that it means much to me, but why would I not.
    Thanks,
    Bill

6. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I am not familiar with this make, and it is more modern than any of the things I really know about, but in general I think an inconsistency like that is a signal that the chance of the watch being fake (or a marriage of genuine but unrelated parts) is higher.

But google image search shows me other RW watches that are marked this way and don't appear to have any luminous markings. Not all, but some.

I am no more enlightened knowing this! There may be many fakes, or they might all be genuine and just sloppy from the manufacturer.

7. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as the numerals go, I think they're just a radial dial, where the numbers continue around with their tops to the case. Coincidentally, I was looking at an IWC wrist watch that a friend was interested in and I noticed that the "VI" was also upside down. However, the numerals to the left and right of it were straight up. It looked like the dial was refinished and somebody messed up. I'm still no exactly sure what was going on with it. Yours, however, has numerals that are consistently radial.

Here's a link to a nicely detailed post by member Ethan Lipsig on numeral orientation on pocket watches:
    Orientation of Numerals on Roman Numeral Pocket Watch Dials

8. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    #8 RL, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Raymond Weil is a maker of luxury watches and has a store and facility in Switzerland.
    The brand has been sold in several stores in the USA also--especially higher end stores.
    I have a Raymond Weil that I have had for several years with an automatic (quite thin) movement and slender case. The one I have also has Roman numerals and the displayed exactly the same as Bills watch.
    No "T" on my watch and no Tritium either. I agree it is probably a redial.

9. Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thank all of you for your insight and thoughts.
    I think I will contact Tourneau, the seller of this watch and inquire of these things.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

10. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    A couple of final thoughts here.
    1. I guess the hands could have had the Tritium and have been changed.out (not likely)
    2.The dial could have been painted that way to begin with (an oversight)

Either way--the dial looks very authentic as Raymond Weil watches go.

11. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 roughbarked, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Luxury Brand. A lot of hype that. So many sudden appearances of Luxury Brands that all use the same movements, many the same styles. They've never made a watch in their life. Anyone can order cases dials and movements. Designer watches? Mostly a designer name recently fabricated.

"Founded in 1976 in Geneva. It is a family company founded by Raymond Weil, who lead the company until his retirement in 2002. Weil died in 2014 and the company is now managed by his grandson Elie Bernheim. Weil initially sold his designs from a foldout bridge table in a stall in Geneva". from WIKI.

The T is simply there on the dial templates whether there is tritium or not. This likely indicates that the whole watch was stamped out in the PRC.

12. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    roughbarked---to add to your findings---the Wiki on him says he marketed his watches toward "lower end" luxury watch buyers.
    I would agree with that.