Rare single handed English longcase

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Occasionally a clock comes up that is so rare the books will just say they don't exist. There were a couple in this auction.

I did not buy it, I really don't have room for more longcase. When it was going for half the bottom estimate I did put a bid in but after that I left it and became the underbidder.

I think the auctioneer had the right estimate but the wrong description. I doubt very much is is a 30 hour clock, I think it is an 8 day single hander. I have seen one dial and movement for sale several years ago which sold for £2400, and I think Brian Loomes says there is another known.

So for posterity a link, and if you bought it I'm sorry I pushed the price up a bid.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Occasionally a clock comes up that is so rare the books will just say they don't exist. There were a couple in this auction.

I did not buy it, I really don't have room for more longcase. When it was going for half the bottom estimate I did put a bid in but after that I left it and became the underbidder.

I think the auctioneer had the right estimate but the wrong description. I doubt very much is is a 30 hour clock, I think it is an 8 day single hander. I have seen one dial and movement for sale several years ago which sold for £2400, and I think Brian Loomes says there is another known.

So for posterity a link, and if you bought it I'm sorry I pushed the price up a bid.

Link requires log in which for me would require starting new account which I don’t want.

RM

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Thanks. Able to access with that link.

Wonderful clock of slender proportions.

Were the additions to the sides of the trunk intended to permit the pendulum to achieve its full arc in such a slender case??

RM
yes that's my conclusion, sometimes you just find a slot.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Very nice and I've not seen one like that before. The wheel train count should tell if it is 30 hour or 8 day.

No sign of an R. Bagnall in my sources and other than a river of that name in Devon I can't track down a place called Ashburn.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
There is only a pic of the strike side. But the position of the anchor is visible. It does appear there are three time side wheels. And the 30 hour clicks. I would assume the description is correct of the clock being 30 hour. But for English clocks, key wound 30 hour longcase would be very rare.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The lack of mention of key wound is what did for it, nobody gets excited about a clock with 30 hour in the description (apart from me)

You are right, I thought the countwheel was on the great wheel but it isn't.

However the price of £950 was still the bargain of all time. I found three key wound clocks in Darken & Hooper, but all 17th century when they were made in London for a short period.

I'm still looking forward to the delivery of my latest wooden dialled dial clock to get over the pain of not being in a position to buy this one.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Very nice and I've not seen one like that before. The wheel train count should tell if it is 30 hour or 8 day.

No sign of an R. Bagnall in my sources and other than a river of that name in Devon I can't track down a place called Ashburn.
Ashburton?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The dates for him are 1828-51 so I would say not.

£950 was indeed a steal.
True, dates are wrong, but possible family/geographical connection. I can't be sure but I think the dial has cutouts, though that doesn't tie it down much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff