Rare Dutch hooded alarm clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by P.Hageman, Jan 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Stumbled upon this one, which I found very interesting. Its with no doubt a Dutch clock, but it has some special features, normally not found on such a clock. It has beautiful cut hands and a nicely engraved alarm disc and a date. The movement is a plated one where you would normally expect a posted movement. And whats even more strange, it runs for a week where most Dutch wall clocks only run for a day. I am pretty sure the case has been rebuild, by a good cabinetmaker. So I don't know if the model of the original case was the same, but from what I have seen it resembles the 18th and 19th century examples quite good. Does anyone know this type of clock or has seen such an example anywhere, please let me know. There are initials cut into the back of the dial and the year 1842, so I think that was the year this clock was made.

voorzijde.JPG signatuur.JPG uurwerk 1.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is the dial sheet made from Peter, seems very uneven?

Very Dutch look apart from the case.

3. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Dial is made of hammerd iron, and yes its uneven :D . First coated with a layer of anti corrosion paint ( we call it "menie") and then the front has been painted in oil just like most of the provincial Dutch clocks. This kind of clock was not the most expensive, but as you know, I like rural clocks the most. And to be honest, I have never seen this kind of clock before. Dial and movement are 100% original so this will be a nice piece to investigate.

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a great rural look. Right up your street.