Rare clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by lesbradley, Oct 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lesbradley

lesbradley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 lesbradley, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    etmb61 and Dave T like this.
  2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sure is worth a look. I'm anxious to hear what those in the know, tell us about it.

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 KurtinSA, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    This is a very significant clock...a special escapement that were made in the late 1800s or early 1900s. It was discussed in late issues of the Torsion Times...I'm not near them now to be able to find out. Maybe John Hubby or Mun Chor-Weng (who as I recall wrote the articles). I don't believe there is a back plate diagram in the repair guide.

Taking a guess, I think it's a cylinder escapement in a Gustav Becker clock.

400 day clock / GB / cylinder escapement

Kurt

4. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    There is an article devoted to the Gustav Becker cylinder escapement clock in the June 2006 issue of the Torsion Times.

Mun C W

2018_10_29_G Becker cylinder ck article in TT _20181029_0001.jpg 2018_10_29_G Becker cylinder ck article in TT _20181029_0001.jpg

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt and all, Plate 1633 is the back plate for this clock, which with serial number 105137 is in the same batch of clocks made with this one. The maker should be Gustav Becker and not Willmann, and the date for this one is late 1875. It is one of about 150 made during that production run. The design was first made as a prototype in late 1872 with the same basic movement but with a small round dial instead of the flat éngráved shield dial on this one. These cylinder escapement clocks were made at least to the end of 1901 but in very small quantities, I now have 25 in my data covering the full period of production 1872-1901. The serial number of this clock is 105013, made near the beginning of that production run. It is new to my database, first one added in six months and together with that one the first ones to show up for sale in more than three years. It is a rare clock in very good condition, the only point I notice that isn't original is the hands which should be either beetle and poker or filigree design. The price sold is in the range I expected to see.

PatH, etmb61 and Dave T like this.
  6. lesbradley

lesbradley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Came up for auction only an hour from where I live. Would have loved to have bought it, but did not have enough spare funds at this point in time.

7. Keith Conklin

Keith Conklin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Male
    Selden, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry you couldn't acquire it, but still, thanks for sharing. There were some great pictures of the escapement.
    I was able to add them to my collection.