$ Rare Berthoud clock books

Kerstin Karlsson

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Hello, this is the first time I am posting anything using a message board, so not sure I am at the right location. I just now became a member and are excited about this site.

We are four sibling who last year inherited many clocks and books from our father Sune Hartman in Smaland Sweden. (He was a longtime member of NAWCC by the way).

We are particularly interested in finding out more about a set of very special books (two) and what to do with them. Wondering if anyone has come across these books and maybe has any idea how much they could be worth? Or if anyone can advise how to best find out? Also, advise on how to best take care of really old books would be very much appreciated.

They are in French, published year 1802 by Ferdinand Berthoud. Title: Histoire de la Mesure du Temps par les Horloges. Tome I, and Tome II. They are original and, as far as I can determine, complete with all the fold out illustrations etc. They were professionally rebound in light cloth material probably about 30-40 years ago, and protected by a cover so that it looks brand new. The edges of the pages are wavy, and the inside pages are very clean and no damage, but do have some tiny brown spots. I am curious as to why the edges are wavy, but do not think it is due to water damage and it makes the books look very interesting and handmade.
I have tried to read on the internet and find little information. But at one place it said that these books were printed in 800ex. My father took them to the Swedish equivalent to "Antique Road Show" maybe 10yrs ago, but unfortunately no info has been saved. We do remember the "judge" was excited and saying that these were very rare and in good shape, but unfortunate they were not in original binding. However, due to very few copies around still very valuable.
Any input, advise in regards to our handling of these books are appreciated! Looking forward to being part of the NAWCC message board, thanks!

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Kirsten, welcome again! I have copied your post to this forum so the values may be discussed openly. Some of our users are quite knowledgeable regarding old books and should be able to help.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have found a set of these books on sale in USA for $4,800. Like yours, they have been re-bound, in this case in brown leather. Whether this is a realistic price or not, I cannot say.

You might do well to contact Svenska Antikvariatföreningen in Stockholm (email address: main@svaf.se) who could perhaps get you a valuation
more relevant to the Swedish market.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Kerstin Karlsson

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
I have found a set of these books on sale in USA for $4,800. Like yours, they have been re-bound, in this case in brown leather. Whether this is a realistic price or not, I cannot say.

You might do well to contact Svenska Antikvariatföreningen in Stockholm (email address: main@svaf.se) who could perhaps get you a valuation
more relevant to the Swedish market.

Hope this helps.

JTD
Thank you JTD! I appreciate your reply and also the suggestion of the Swedish site, I will definitely email them. This is really exciting, to find people on the "net" sharing the same interest! Thanks again, Kerstin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcfly88
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff