Rare 1892 tower clock, long an exhibit at OMSI, looking for new home in Portland

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by ElectricTime, Jan 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002

#4 Howard Movement in Portland looking for a new home.

The museum called in a local group of clock and watch enthusiasts to help prepare it for storage. It will then go into a crate and sit in storage unless another venue wants it. Kerry Tymchuk, the executive director of the Oregon Historical Society, on Tuesday said he would explore whether the clock could go on display at the society’s museum.

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is an extremely odd and unfortunate occurrence, fomented by ignorance of the local historic value of the clock. Sort of like the attitude of schools in Great Britain- the kids can't read analog clocks, so we'll simply replace them with digital clocks. Shortsighted small-mindedness.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The story in the newspapers about schools is what you would call fake news and what we call tabloid journalism. Find one example of something and call it a national trend. The Dept of Education mandates that students must be able to use analogue instruments as well as digital ones, so some sort of national trend report is simply nonsense.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed. Strange. Almost like saying, "Young people don't appreciate this old stuff, so let's just get rid of it and not educate them."

I'm sure the majority of us that frequent this forum are partial to the concept of getting all this out on display and educating people, ESPECIALLY young people. I've been trying to make a difference locally in my community, but I have to say it's challenging. There's definitely a generational gap of humans not getting educated on where we came from in the world of science and technology (for many reasons) and I find that horology and public time pieces are one of these topics.

I really do hope this #4 finds a permanent venue to be displayed and doesn't end up in a crate in storage. It's an amazing time piece! Seems like NAWCC could help make arrangements here...

5. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    What a great opportunity for a small historical Society to add this to their collection. An interactive display where visitors can stand next to the clock movement to see how it works, witness the weights as they move towards the ceiling, and feel the wind created when the bell begins to ring. We have one of the tower clocks in our Museum, The other one is in a private collection, but we are hoping it comes home when the time is right.