RANT

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Audemars, Oct 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What really p****s me off is when I go to a fair amount of trouble tracing a watch, or recounting a bit of family horological history to someone who has enquired by e-mail, or through a web forum, and they don’t even bother to acknowledge my reply – let alone express any sort of thanks.

At a guess that is what happens in about 50% of enquiries these days. I think it’s an internet disease.

Paul

Joeydeluxed likes this.
  2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sure that most of them feel appreciative, but agree that some kind of response would be nice! With the new board, they could at least press "like" :)
    I always feel good when someone appreciates my help, but don't let it bother me when they don't either :)

rickyn and PatH like this.
  3. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Paul, what you need is another trip to the good old top end of Australia. Unfortunately some people just use the forum to get information for a Pocket Watch that they are selling; when they have enough information you don't hear from them again. I have seen this a few times with a Watch later on eBay. Regards Ray

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Paul,

I find it very sad that many enquirers here can't even be bothered to add the word 'please' to their demands for help . . .

Regards,

Graham

5. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are absolutely right.
    I'm working on finding a cheap rental of a mini-campervan so I can do the west coast Perth - Darwin via Kununurra (where I left a pair of underpants, a very nice snakeskin belt and some clip-on shades which my pal Pete has appropriated).
    No phone, no computer, no e-mail, no enquirers, (and no relatives) just grey nomads and the odd kangaroo.
    The trouble is I'm at an age when some rental agencies stop renting.

Back to the rant. The internet has at the very least contributed to, and has probably caused, a complete breakdown of people's ability or inclination to write decent, polite English (and, to my knowledge and at the risk of showing off, that also applies to three other languages) and to observe even the basic decencies and politenesses.
    I hate 'em all. Call me a crusty old wrinkly if you will.
    I wonder why I bother.
    Roll on oblivion.
    P

6. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He's only using the shades and the belt.
    P

musicguy likes this.
  7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Audemar, I feel your pain, it isn't just here, I can't even get a thank you from my grandchildren for Christmas or birthday gifts. Our oldest was up last week, when he was at our house, he just lay on the couch and stared at his phone, no interaction except to complain or eat. He is 46.