Range of Crystal Sizes for Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Classic, Apr 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Classic

Classic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    I am trying to find if there is a general range of crystal sizes that fit a particular size of pocket watch. I understand that in order to properly fit a crystal you would either have to measure the diameter of the damaged crystal or measure the bezel opening with a micrometer but I was just looking to ballpark, so to speak, each size of pocket watch to a crystal size. For example, if let's say I have an 18s pocket watch that is missing a crystal, depending on whether it was hunter or open, I would start looking at size 20 0/16 through 20 15/16? If I had a 16s I would start looking at 18 0/16 - 18 15/16, etc.

Since I am fairly new at collecting and working on pocket watches and lack this type of experience and know how, I thought I would reach out to you the experts to help me. This type of information would also help me to start purchasing the right sizes and types of crystals for spare parts.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Marty

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One can determine this by looking at the typical crystal assortment that is up for sale and looking for the depleted sizes. There's a lot of variation in 18S open face, so anywhere in the 20's for those. For 16S open face, the low 19's typically. For 16S hunters low to mid 18's.

That being said, your question will probably do better in the repair section, so I'm going to move it there.

3. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Also keep in mind that for HC crystals, the height of the crystal is also a factor.

tom

4. Classic

Classic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok. Thanks for the information Dave. By any chance has anyone ever put together a matrix for something like this? For people like myself looking for the depleted sizes could be something like "I don't know what I don't know".

Thanks again,
    Marty

5. Classic

Classic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom!