railroad grade wristwatches

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by jmk@izzy.net, Feb 15, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jmk@izzy.net

jmk@izzy.net Guest

Here is a question for all you railroad watch enthusiasts, which I posed for the editors of the NAWCC Bulletin. There were several brands of wristwatches that carried the label "railroad approved" . Bulova Accutron, Ball, and Elgin's B W Raymond are some examples. I believe these watches were made in the 50's and 60's. The question is just when did the railroads approve wristwatches for time service and which watches. Also, were the requirements the same for wristwatches as were for the pocket watches? Where might information about railroad time service be found?

2. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Hello,
    I think you will have to research the individual railroads to determine when they were first approved. the watch companies had to get one approved before they put it on the dial. Good luck.
    J Smith

3. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Try and get your hands on one of Ehrhardt's wrist watch price guides. In the front, under
    private label-railroad is a list of approved
    wrist watches. It's too long to list here, but includes my favorite, the Universal Geneve railrouter. They say that the first approved railroad wrist watch was a B.W.Raymond in 1960. The requirements must have been for accuracy only as there are LED quartz, Mechanical, Automatics etc. on the list.

4. Alan Walker

Alan Walker Guest

Researching that type of information can be quite problematic. Kent Singer, Ed Uberall, myself and others are constantly searching for more information. You would have to look at publications from each individual railroad or time service to determine what if any wrist watches were accepted by the time inspection service. All of the information that I have seen indicates that wrist watches were not permitted to be used in train service until the mid-1950s and later on. As initial problems were overcome, more watches were added to the lists of approved watches. One might also note that many railroaders who started using railroad approved wrist watches continued to maintain current comparison cards on their pocket watches.