Railroad Brotherhood Logo's used on Watch Cases

pwcintx

NAWCC Member
Nov 27, 2000
Does anyone have any information on the different logos used by the various Union Brotherhoods. Many were reproduced & put on members watch cases. Most will know about the "Brotherhood of Trainsmen Engineers" but as I understand it there were over 50 such unions. I hope someone has compiled a list along with pictures of the different Brotherhoods.

Virgil

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Virgil:

Watches whose movements and dials were marked with railroad brotherhood symbols were made by the Ball Watch Co. The symbols used are shown in the references listed in that company's Encyclopedia article and in Ball ads, such as this 1896 ad. A list of brotherhood-marked watches is shown on this 1905 catalog page. The Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen came about a little later and watches were made with their symbol. Various case companies, and third parties, provided cases decorated with brotherhood symbols.

With the exception of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, the railroad brotherhoods merged to form the United Transportation Union, based in Cleveland, OH. Many of the UTU's predecessors' records were donated to the School of Industrial Labor Relations at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. You can try searching the internet to find a full list of the the UTU's predecessors, or alternately, try to find out from the School of Industrial Labor Relations.

Good luck,

Last edited:

Norman Bliss

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2005
Springfield, Hampden Co.
blisschron.org
Country
Region
I think you meant Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. The picture below is a blow up of the logo on the dial of my avatar, a Hamilton 996 used on the Boston & Albany and Boston & Maine RRs in western Massachusetts. It's the logo of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and shows a brake wheel, appropriate for the brotherhood that included brakemen. The number is the lodge number, located in West Springfield Mass. Back in the day, you could get all kinds of things painted on your dial.

BRT-logo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller