• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

RAF Mantel Clock

catriona

Dec 2, 2008
Fabulous Lone Star State
Country
Region
This is a RAF Officer's Mess Mantel Clock by F W Elliot. I believe it dates to around 1935. It needs a little work, but it's in great condition for its age!

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Looks like a fusee movement from your picture, Catriona. A very high quality movement. Do you have all the parts for it?

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Curious: "Officers mess clock"? Hmmmmm. Reckon what that means - the purpose of it. I'm certain that flat spot on my forehead'll be a little flatter when you tell me but offhand, can't quite put it together.

Hayson

Mar 2, 2008
Country
Region
I believe it's for telling the time in the Officers Mess... Beaut clock Catriona, should come up a treat with some tlc.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Catriona
It's Elliott, BTW, not Elliot. F W Elliott were a quality English maker. It looks like there is an RAF emblem on the dial, yes? These clocks were purchased just before and during WW2, and the movements were based on the English Dial ones; they are recoil escapement, 8-day fusee.

HTH

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Yep a typical example, I can't see any mark but I assume the movement is marked FW Elliott who made most of these but not all. I understand they were dated and had serial numbers and were actually made from a surplus stock of mahogany wall clock back-boxes and veneered in oak to meet the War Department's specification. They are quite collectable though not as highly prized as the RAF sector dial clocks.

FW Elliott were founded in 1923 in Croydon.

An interesting site on these and other RAF clocks is below.

http://www.aeroclocks.com/

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Curious: "Officers mess clock"? Hmmmmm. Reckon what that means - the purpose of it. I'm certain that flat spot on my forehead'll be a little flatter when you tell me but offhand, can't quite put it together.
Officers Mess - where they eat. A two-year hitch would do wonders for you.:D

catriona

Dec 2, 2008
Fabulous Lone Star State
Country
Region
Looks like a fusee movement from your picture, Catriona. A very high quality movement. Do you have all the parts for it?
I just have to find the pendulum and the glass. I found a link that showed me what it's supposed to look like, so I should be able to locate them.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alison1125
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit