Help Rack Hook not working as it should

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Robert K., Jun 30, 2020 at 12:38 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert K.

Robert K. New Member

May 28, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello folks, I am in need of assistance with an 8-day regula movement whose countwheel (I believe that's what it's called) is not working properly. For example, the small pinwheel rotates and catches the large c-shaped part, but the pinwheel is never stopped by the lever above it, which is supposed to drop and stop the wheel. But it does not drop on its own so my clock never stops calling. I have tried applying oil to the areas I think need it, but the problem persists. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I have attached an image to better show the issue: unnamed.jpg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is called a rack. Not a countwheel. Check the end shake on the axle of the locking lever. It should move freely and not get hung up at all. Next look for bends or twists in the other levers under the green tick.

Robert K. likes this.
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the rack hook not dropping at all, or is it not settling into the notch of the gathering pallet? (I'm using the proper names, but assume you'll figure out which parts they are). If you could post a video of it on Youtube and link to it here so we can see what it's doing, it would be easier to determine what is causing the issue. Did this just start, or has it been a problem before?

Robert K. and disciple_dan like this.
  4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He used the words No Drop and not dropping. It is therefore being held up by something. Gravity is what makes it drop. So something is holding it up. This can occur when the lifter is holding it all up. Otherwise the clip on the axle is on wrongly or something else?

Robert K. likes this.
  5. Robert K.

Robert K. New Member

May 28, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is a video that shows what is happening, also sorry for not using proper terminology. I'm a bit of a novice at this and am still learning! Hopefully the video sheds some light on the issue.

6. Robert K.

Robert K. New Member

May 28, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is a video that shows what is happening, also sorry for not using proper terminology. I'm a bit of a novice at this and am still learning! Hopefully the video sheds some light on the issue.

7. Royce

Royce Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take a look at the rack hook as it is not dropping. It must be binding on something.

8. POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE Registered User

Jan 11, 2011
    The gathering pallet pin is not lifting the rack up on each rotation. Bent pin, bent rack?. Be careful with the pin, I had one just fall out for no apparent reason a couple weeks ago. Pin disappeared And to be quite frank, I don’t know a reliable way to keep the pin in if it is loose enough to fall out. my bet with yours is the gp has shifted or loose on its arbor or the pin is not true.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, that rack hook needs to lift and drop every time the gathering pallet turns to "gather" the rack. It acts as a 'place holder' to keep the rack from dropping back down. You will need to manually lift and drop it to find what is binding.
    No need to apologize for not knowing the terminology. It's a learning process, and when we use the correct terms, you will eventually know them too ;)

Since this is not about a count wheel, I'll also change the title a little for the benefit of future searchers.

SuffolkM likes this.
  10. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The gathering pallet and pin look OK to me. The rack is being lifted but look at this screen capture from the video. The end of the rack hook isn't even close to the rack teeth and isn't moving at all. Find what's got the rack hook stuck in this position and you will find the problem. Check whether the rack hook can be moved by hand. The arbor to which the rack hook is attached is often held in place by an "e" clip, perhaps the clip has been replaced with one that doesn't fit or by a wire? There is a spring wire that should keep the rack hoot in contact with the rack.

RC

rack-hook.jpg

11. Chris D

Chris D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does the clock have a music box? If so, I would look on the back side for the music activation and see if it's stuck on the music box. The music activation lever is attached to the other end of the rack hook.

roughbarked likes this.