Rack and Snail Cam Strike issue.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I think this must be a rack and snail strike issue. The clock will only do 1 Hammer Strike no matter what the hour is. The rack tail does not seem to ride on or come in contact with the Snail Cam and I think the Rack Tail must be the forward part of the Rack Lever rather than the tail end of the Rack lever?? Isn't it the Snail Cam that counts or controls the number of Hammer Strikes? So I'm wondering if this movement is missing parts or maybe a spring? This was one of two clock I purchased a week ago or so from a lady that said her Dad worked on clocks, he passed away last year. (Porch Pickup) Appreciate any help or things to check, troubleshoot. I'm thinking that a spring is supposed to be attached to the Tail end of the Rack lever up to the post that is about an inch above it? This would hold downward tension on the Rack so that it would ride in the Snail Cam.

1.jpg 1a.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Usually when it strikes once on both hour and half hour, the lever is not being lifted high enough to allow the rack to fall to the cam. The hour should lift higher than the half hour. There is a “Y” in that lever I think, and you can adjust the lever by prying the Y apart and allowing the lever to lift higher.

Reactions: legosnell

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Legosnell-

Your last photo shows the rack assembly suspended in the air. This is an indication of a sticky pivot point. I would remove the rack assembly from the post and clean both the post and inside the tube. This style of rack should drop freely without any need for a return spring and it shouldn't receive any oil.

Hope that helps!

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Usually when it strikes once on both hour and half hour, the lever is not being lifted high enough to allow the rack to fall to the cam. The hour should lift higher than the half hour. There is a “Y” in that lever I think, and you can adjust the lever by prying the Y apart and allowing the lever to lift higher.
Ok (WOW) I'll look at that as a possible cause of this issue, appreciate it.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Hi Legosnell-

Your last photo shows the rack assembly suspended in the air. This is an indication of a sticky pivot point. I would remove the rack assembly from the post and clean both the post and inside the tube. This style of rack should drop freely without any need for a return spring and it shouldn't receive any oil.

Hope that helps!
The pivot point for the rack I would say is not real free, a little bit snug but can be moved easily up and down it's full travel but is not so free that it could drop on it's own without help. That's why I thought maybe I was missing a spring. I'll look at that, could very well be the issue. Appreciate it

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
As already mentioned, it should drop freely and make a nice metallic sound when the tail bounces on the snail. Re-read post #3 and do that ... Willie X

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
That fixed it! Cleaned the rack pivot and the rack now falls freely down onto the snail cam and continues with the correct number of hammer strikes. Sure appreciate all the help and education. I learn something new with every movement I work on. Larry Gosnell

Reactions: LaBounty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-