R. Whiting clock questions and hoping to learn more

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by lxt123, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lxt123

lxt123 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2010
    #1 lxt123, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    This is my first wooden movement clock.
    Does it looks all original?
    There are two holes on the top, what am I missing there?
    The dial has two additional holes, visible from the back. Is it a recycled dial?
    I am hoping to learn more about it.

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Lxt123,

Your Whiting clock is a seeming "marriage" of various parts. I base this on my experience with Whiting woodworks clocks, of which I've owned four over the years. Here are my thoughts.

Whiting woodworks movements are quite identifiable, in that there is a wooden bridge that secures the escape wheel. Your movement lacks this bridge, leading me to believe that it is not a Whiting movement. It identifies as a type 5.13 made by Chauncey Jerome, if my eyesight serves me. This is assuming that both strike wire pivots are wood, which is difficult for me to see for certain. I am also assuming that the brass bushings around the winding arbors are a later repair.

Most likely, the entire clock, meaning the columns and splats, were originally stenciled. There are still traces of the stencilling on the columns, but none on the splat, which I'm certain is a modern replacement.

The face, as you suspect is indeed recycled, as it was originally intended for what is sometimes called an "east west" movement, which had the winding arbors parallel with the hand shaft.

The top pulley holes and reinforcements are typical Whiting style, so it appears that your case and backboard, left and right top columns are indeed Whiting products. The overall case has, of course, been refinished.

I'm not trying to be overly critical with my comments, but just want to give you accurate information. Any wood works clock is indeed a great addition to a collection, and perhaps in your travels you will come across a correct Whiting movement to put into the case, along with a good, stencilled splat. Parts like these come up all the time on the Internet auction sites.

Good hunting, and welcome to the world of wood works collecting!

My very best,

George Nelson

ballistarius likes this.
  3. lxt123

lxt123 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Thank you for the extensive information. Now I have a starting point for my research

4. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The top splat, and the entire door look like replacements. The door should be pine on the interior, with a dark red stain, and the front should be veneered with mahogany "on the short grain". The door should also be fitted with a Terry style lock (no knob). I don't understand what has been added along the top/rear of the clock. It looks like an old brass handle? There should be nothing there. It looks like someone tried to have this as a wall-hanging clock (which is not a good idea, since the top could separate from the rest of the case, causing everything to come crashing down).

Most of the rest of the clock looks pretty decent, even if the movement and dial are mismatched marriage pieces.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Old wooden clocks are often found missing some of their original parts. One has no way to know when this marriage was consummated but perhaps it saved a nice clock from the trash bin. Few people have the means, knowledge, to completely restore a clock like this to all original condition. Be thankful that someone didn't add a quartz movement. You can enjoy your old clock and work toward making it more authentic over time. I would begin by replacing the obviously incorrect hands and movement. Whiting movements come up on-line regularly and are easily recognized by the wooden escape wheel bridge. The two extra holes in the top look like someone decided to add finials and they were either lost or removed (a good thing). Enjoy!

RC