R.R.S. Howard Ball Hunter

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
Since I can't post on the 149 board, I will answer the question that was raised on the 149 board about the R.R.S. Ball Howard here. Jon says it looks very suspicious to him, but he is mistaken, there was one and only one of these versions made, #226,221 specifically listed in the factory records as being a grade 5, R.R.S. Ball Howard. An in depth and detailed Ball Howard article for publication in the Bulletin has been submitted and will answer most of the questions of the highly sought after Ball Howards.
Harold Visser
Chapter 112,174,185

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
Since I can't post on the 149 board, I will answer the question that was raised on the 149 board about the R.R.S. Ball Howard here. Jon says it looks very suspicious to him, but he is mistaken, there was one and only one of these versions made, #226,221 specifically listed in the factory records as being a grade 5, R.R.S. Ball Howard. An in depth and detailed Ball Howard article for publication in the Bulletin has been submitted and will answer most of the questions of the highly sought after Ball Howards.
Harold Visser
Chapter 112,174,185

Jon Hanson

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Damn right it looks suspicious--check out the terrible shot! Who can even read the serial number?

BTW, what is the serial number--are you allowed to volunteer that?

Of course, Harold, you could ask to be a guest and therefore could post on 149!

Merry Christmas!

Jon

PS Glad to see of your interst in the CHAPTER 149 MB!

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club

Jon Hanson

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Chapter 149 memvber has provided the unreadible number:

posted December 19, 2003 18:44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon and Doc Ron -

The serial # is 226221.

Thanks Fred.

Evidentally the mov't is pictured in Shugart so everyone can have a looksee!

Jon

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Harold,

The upcoming Ball-Howard article sounds terrific. I'm looking forward to it.

As there seem to be a quite a few visitors to our site (non-NAWCC members) that might not be familiar with the type of info that gets published in our Bulletin on a regular basis, I thought it might be worthwhile to note a few of the recent articles that have appeared therein (you know...advertise our Association a bit). The star ratings are totally objective. ;)

Oct. 2002 issue: Mike Harrold's 4 star article on the founding Fathers of the Hamilton Watch Co.. This issue also has an excellent cover showing Hamilton mvts #s 1,2 and 3.

Dec. 2002 issue: Craig Risch's 4 star article (with superb photographs) on Charles vander Woerd's unique 1872 model Waltham.

Feb 2003 issue: Part 2 of Craig's 4 star article.

Apr. 2003 issue: Gerrit Nijssen's & Carl Goetz's 4 star article on the Waltham crystal plate mvts with superb illustrations.

Aug. 2003 issue: Rene Rondeau's 4 star article on Hamilton's acrylic watches and displays with superb photographs.

Dec. 2003 issue: Gerrit Nijssen's 4 star article on D. D. Palmer.

In addition, a regular outstanding feature of the Bulletin on Railroad watches by Ed Ueberall and Kent Singer has recently featured info on Hayden Wheeler watches, Magnetism scare in the 1880s, Columbus RR watches and others.

I don't wish to slight anyone by not mentioning their particular Bulletin contribution, but suffice to say that there's lots more than just the above in it.

Because some of the authors mentioned above are not regular participants on our message board, their names may be unfamiliar to some message board regulars. But they all deserve our thanks for their past and future efforts in establishing the NAWCC Bulletin as the world's foremost publication on old and collectible American watches (IMHO).

Greg Frauenhoff

My Watch Site

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Harold -

Thanks for letting me know ... I had remembered only seeing the one image of this marking and nothing since, the fact that it is unique explains why.

Two questions I would still have are:

1. Will this particular watch be pictured or discussed in the coming bulletin article?

2. What dial markings does the watch have?

Thanks again,

Fred