Quick trick for setting beat on 30 Day Vienna

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
After lots of frustration I found this trick to get the clock in beat. Perhaps you guys know it but if not here it is.

Put the movement in the brackets but slide it out in front so it does not engage the pendulum.

Watch the crutch go back and forth with the pendulum at rest. Adjust the beat setter into it goes equal distances from the pendulum slot.

Slide the movement in to engage the pendulum.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
that works... i will also just eyeball the crutch swing from the back of the movement while holding the movement and applying pressure to the great wheel with one hand, and moving the crutch with the other hand. i listen to the ticks and watch where the crutch pin crosses the mid-way spot.

Reactions: disciple_dan

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Both of my Biedermeier Viennas (one 30 day) have pendulums that hang directly from the movement. This is a method for Viennas that have a pendulum that hangs from a post mounted on the back of the case. The most important thing is to keep the clock in beat once it is set it beat. It's irritating to knock the clock out of beat when winding so mine are screwed to the wall by screwing the points of the stabilisers into plugs drilled into the wall. Once set mine have not shifted in beat in years. I think the 30 day clocks are more difficult to set in beat; the pendulum swing is small and the tick is very quiet. Once satisfied with the beat by ear I then used an iPhone app to measure the beat error.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fool4net
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller