Questions

mikeh

Mar 5, 2001
Mike,

Are you looking to repair wristers or pockets?

For demagnetizing, you can find vintage models of the coil or instantaneous varieties at a reasonable price at regional marts or on ebay. Both do a good job, but like the name implies, I guess the instantaneous are a little quicker. Some material houses also sell a little plastic magnetizer/demagnetizer pretty cheap. To me, these are useful for magnetizing but demagnetizing leaves quite a bit to be desired.

If you search the tools forum for 'demagnetizer', you will probably find some informative threads where these were discussed in the past.

Regards,
Mike

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Mike,

The topic of watch movements for practice has been covered before. I have provided you with a link to a previous discussion on this matter. In fact, if you wish to search the archives yourself, it is easy to do. The subject of demagnetizers is also available in the archives.

To use the archives, look for "find" at the top of this page. Click on it, and a box will appear. Put your cursor in the box and type in the subject. Click on "go".

The link I referred to is here:

old ref::movements

Doug S.

M

Mikes

Originally posted by mikeh:
Mike,

Are you looking to repair wristers or pockets?

For demagnetizing, you can find vintage models of the coil or instantaneous varieties at a reasonable price at regional marts or on ebay. Both do a good job, but like the name implies, I guess the instantaneous are a little quicker. Some material houses also sell a little plastic magnetizer/demagnetizer pretty cheap. To me, these are useful for magnetizing but demagnetizing leaves quite a bit to be desired.

If you search the tools forum for 'demagnetizer', you will probably find some informative threads where these were discussed in the past.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks for the information. I am working on both pocket and wrist watches.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

LarFure

Nov 30, 2003
www.lfure.us
Country
Region
Originally posted by Mike:
I am new at watch repair and have a couple of questions. What types of watches are the most popular ones for repair and where can I find these watches to practice on? I have already worked on a couple of inexpensive watches and need some direction as where to go next. Also, is there an inexpensive way to demagnatize tweezers? Thanks.
Mike,
I'm new at this too,and found that you can by Elgin watches on eBay pretty cheap. Especially if they are non-running.

Last edited by a moderator: