Questions on Model 10 Sangamo Special

Yiannis

NAWCC Member
Oct 29, 2013
Athens
Country
After spending some months gathering information on the Sangamo Special, I am trying to summarize some typical characteristics for the Model 10 Sangamo Special, as follows.

All factory cased in Wadsworth cases, hinged front bezel, screw off back, GF or solid gold 14K, case # 4,170,704 - 6,840,048.

All (?) single sunk dials.

a. Up to S/N # 3,693,001 all 16 size, then 17 size.

b. Crown: The early ones with the “half” diamond crown, then with the full diamond crown.

c. Dial: The early ones with the inward pointing triangular 5 minute markers, then outward.

d. Named case: The early ones in no named cases, then innamed “Sangamo Special” cases

Now the questions:

i. Did all model 10 have a SS dial?
ii. Were all (or some of) the changes (namely a,b,c,d) between “early” and late” types simultaneous?

Please feel free to point any error on the aforementioned.

Thank you for your help.

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Now the questions:

i. Did all model 10 have a SS dial?
ii. Were all (or some of) the changes (namely a,b,c,d) between “early” and late” types simultaneous?
I will say for #1 yes... it is the design intent of the movement to be 'thin' which required a SS dial.

for #2.... no... not all at one time.

also seems documented examples of 17 and 16 sizes are not AT a specific serial cut off.

try this...
http://www.kirxklox.com/project/editorial_cms.php?id=2

Yiannis

NAWCC Member
Oct 29, 2013
Athens
Country
Thank you for the link. Some of the information in my message comes from that amazing site.

Based on the sources I am aware of, I tend to believe that at least a. and c. were introduced at the same time. That means that all 17 size had the outward pointer dial or not?

I thought is was a good idea to raise the question on the MB.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockman1965
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller