Questions about Dey Time Register

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by KBwindup, Sep 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KBwindup

KBwindup Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi all

I m in the middle of restoring a Dey Time Register and have a few issues you might be able to help me with.

The hour hand is extremely stiff to reset the time, I m assuming that it has to be as the centre arbor also drives the Time in/out mechanism at its rear. Has anyone any idea if it needs to be left tight or not? I think it might but am not sure.

There is a large brass wheel with a smaller wheel attached to its in side. It is marked NOON and NIGHT. It seems to stop the movement at these times but as a result also has twisted the linkage between the clock and the Time in/out mechanism. Has anyone any idea what this function was for ? I m considering disconnecting it if it has no current use when the time register is on display in an office.(see attached photos)

Has anybody come across any instructions, manuals etc for this London made register? They would make a nice addition to the piece if had some printed off.

Any information would be very welcome

Eamonn

noon night wheel 1.jpg noon night wheel 2.jpg 20190909_153234.jpg noon night wheel 3.jpg 20190326_135837.jpg

2. John Lippold

John Lippold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Hi Earmonn:

The brass cam (with NIGHT & NOON stamped on it) is the Ribbon Change Color Program Cam. It must be timed to match the time that is printed on the paper when you press the Operating Lever into one of the holes in the numbered dial. The clock hands must also match the same time that is printed. Your clock has the two color ribbon feature and should have a two color ribbon installed. The two color ribbon should be installed with the red color toward the front of the clock. If the clock prints 12:00 PM on the paper then the cam should be timed to NOON. You can tell it's 12:00 PM because there will be a line printed under the 12. You can adjust the cam timing by removing the cam mounting screw and adjusting the gear mesh so the NOON line on the cam is lined up with the cam follower/pointer as indicated by the arrow in the attached photo.

John

Ribbon Position Cam.jpg