Questions about a SB Terry movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by jboger, Oct 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is a continuation of a thread elsewhere. i have removed the movement from the case and am now looking at it. I have been suspicious of the verge/crutch since I first laid eyes on the clock. Now I have a closer look and posted some pictures.

My question is, does it look right? Also I don't understand if there is a brass fitting over the center wheel. I have been reluctant to pull on the hour hand, which appears to be original. My goal is to dismantle, clean, and reassemble. Nothing else.

IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0573.jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    What do you think is wrong about the verge? I note that the crutch wire itself is positioned on the right side (time side) of the center shaft, which is seen in other Terry movements of this type. The Marshall & Adams seem to have the crutch wire positioned on the left side of the center shaft. But I haven't seen a lot of either. The shaping of the pallets on your verge seems more like Marshal & Adams, however. Again, that is based on only a few seen. Those more expert in this area will have better opinions.

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The verge looks pretty much proper to me. The hour hand should pull right off with a bit of care. It looks like it has been beaten about to tighten it up on the hour tube.

5. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it does work. I've applied pressure to the wheel that engages the escape wheel and got the movement to tick properly. There are issues, however. I believe the click spring is missing on the strike great wheel. And a screw and brass tube is missing on the left side of the seconds chapter.

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I ain't the repair/technical guy but I agree. Verge looks okay.

I wonder if that "fitting" wasn't put there because the fitting of the hand was loose?

Nice package. A scarce SBT movement in a good case.

Something I would love to own.

Where's the beef??

RM.

Jim DuBois likes this.
  7. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am happy to report this clock is merrily ticking away right now. All I did was straighten a badly bent verge and put the clock back in beat. I have not strung a weight yet on the Strike side, and therefore do not know if that works. I believe the weights are original as they match other SBT clocks. They also neatly fit into the sides of the case.

I've done a preliminary web search for prints of Knowsley Hall. I had hoped to find something from the 1830s that may have been a basis for the tablet. No luck.