Help Questions about a 'Morez' movement, please....

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hello All. Greetings and Salutations!!
I took my cousin to Merritts a few weeks ago, and her being a clock-nut, was in 'Hog Heaven'! She came home with a GF, 2 mantels and a wall clock!!...All antiques. The clock she asked me to check out first is a French Bakers wall clock with a Morez movement. I've never seen one before, and am anxious to dive in. But I got a few observations along with a few questions. I like the robust materials used on these older clocks..I don't really see much wear at the pivot points at all!! The movement is a time and strike only and seems pretty simplistic. But I'm just wondering about set up when I go to put it back together. .Anything I need to know about setting up the strike train:???:...But Alas! I've gotten ahead of myself...What about the tear down. I see 4 screws at the top plate that go into 4 vertical pillars. If I take that top plate off, (after all necessary external components are removed of course) will the pillars be able to be spread to remove the wheels in the trains? Is there some type of methodology I should employ or be aware of? Are the mainsprings able to be removed even before I remove the top plate? Do I remove the bracket holding the mainspring winding arbors, then remove the arbors, allowing the springs to come out the sides??
These are the questions I have right now...(I'm sure there'll be more) If there is any one who can help me out, I would be really grateful !!

The 2nd pic labeled morez#3 is looking down on the top plate with the 4 mount screws going into the vertical pillars.

Best,
Bob

morez4.jpg morez3.jpg morez2.jpg morez1.jpg

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi Bob,
A typical Comtoise / Morbier clock. Looks 10th / 20th C - earlier ones had a verge. They usually strike but the striking is somewhat unusual as having no warning and striking twice with a few minutes apart near the hour.

Plenty of threads here on the subject. Books as well - qv Google.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hi Bob,
A typical Comtoise / Morbier clock. Looks 10th / 20th C - earlier ones had a verge. They usually strike but the striking is somewhat unusual as having no warning and striking twice with a few minutes apart near the hour.

Plenty of threads here on the subject. Books as well - qv Google.
Hi Mike...Not wanting to sound thick here, but what do you mean earlier ones had a verge?...also what is 'qv Google'?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi Bob,
Slight error on my part - 10th should have been 19th :banghead:

Earlier Comtoise clocks used a verge escapement even though most other clocks finished with verge escapements. Yours has an anchor escapement so will be 19th or 20th century.

qv = "which see" :)

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hi Bob,

Earlier Comtoise clocks used a verge escapement even though most other clocks finished with verge escapements. Yours has an anchor escapement so will be 19th or 20th century.

Got it!! Thanks for the clarity....Thanks Mike

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hi Bob,

Hi Mike...Hey, do ALL these Comtoise/Morbier movements strike twice at the hour? I'm only getting striking once on the hour. What is the action that would drive the second sequence? I don't see any add'l spot on the lifting cam on the center arbor...I just see 2 positions there. One for the hours and one for the half hour... Where does the action take place to make the rack drop a second time? I hope I'm not being too confusing:???:?
Thought I'd ask you first before posting an add'l post.....

Best,
Bob

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi Bob,
That seems though your clock does indeed not strike twice on the hour. On the ones I previously owned, the cannon pinion had two parts with a gap (difficult to explain without a drawing). The horizontal bar that releases the rack hook has a second notch.
On the first strike, the horizontal bar is pulled to the right and allowed to go left, so the#vl rack hook drops the rack and striking occurs, but the critical thing is that the vertical lever only goes into the second notch on the cannon pinion, so it strikes again.
A book on the subject is really what you need, (qv Google ) but if I ever get time I can do a drawing.

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Thanks for the comeback Mike...In my mind, I think I see what you're saying. I would love to see a drawing if you get time....

Thanks,
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-