Questions about a Jacot tool

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by brian fisher, Jan 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    UIiSLM.jpg

i picked this tool off ebay last week and it arrived today. i have watched a few vids on youtube in regard to its use. however, i feel like there is a missing link somewhere.

the shaft in the actual tool on the top right only has pointy ends. it seems like it would be really difficult to install a male ended pivot into that male ended shaft?

the random wheel laying on top of the velvet case in the smallest one i have from the strike train in a pendule de paris movement. even that one seems too big to fit into this tool?

oddly, all of the holes in the pivot sizer on the top left in the pic are too big for these pivots. i have the technology to cut the tool and weld in a plug to make it longer. i also have a lathe to make a different shaft with female ends for the top right side. why would anyone need pointed ends to begin with?

what exactly do i need to make this work correctly? this seems more confusing than it needs to be.

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Brian,

The runner with the pulley on the end should have very fine female centres, have you looked under magnification?

The object at top left isn't a pivot gauge, it's a staking block and the proper one, which is flat with a tapered slot down the centre, is as shown in the picture below.

These tools are designed just for watch work and are too small for most clock wheels. If you want the same functionality for clocks, a Jacot accessory which fits in the lathe tailstock is necessary.

Jacot Pivot Gauge.JPG Jacot Tool.JPG

Regards,

Graham

measuretwice likes this.
  3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thank you guys for the responses. perhaps i can use this tool with a couple of carriage clocks i need to go through. other than that i guess i will probably put it back on ebay. i was hoping it would be useful for larger movements.

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your set includes a large radius runner that will work well for clock pivots.

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Brian,

Yes it will, although that single-ended runner on the left is really intended for the extended seconds hand pivots on fourth wheels.

Regards,

Graham