question

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by shagslayer, Nov 28, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. shagslayer

shagslayer Registered User

Nov 28, 2010
    Journeyman Union Carpenter, Millwright, Pile Drive
    St. Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i like a watch, but i want it to be pvd'd now it has the same type of watch that is pvd'd that i don't like, how hard would it be to switch the dial / guts out of them so i can have the dial i want with the pvd ?

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what does pvd mean? We would need to see pictures of each watch to tell if swapping parts is advisable. We usually do not recommend switching parts as the originality of the watch is compromised and value decreased.

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 doug sinclair, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    PVD is physical vapor deposition. This is how I understand it. It is a method of applying a layer of gold to an item, using a high temperature furnace which operates without the presence of oxygen. The item to be coated is given a negative electrical charge while the plating material is admitted to the furnace with a positive charge, causing the molten material (gold) to "condense" on the item. This is sort of like powder coating. The end result of this process is a coating of gold which has been in effect "sprayed" on in molten form leaving a coating much like a gold filled finish which is much more durable than electroplating.

The short answer to shagslayer is, "NO". Ask the watch store if the model you like is available with other dials. Ask to see a catalog, or check out on line sources.

4. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 Registered User

May 23, 2009
    Computer engineer
    Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    There's a craze at the moment for black PVD coating on stainless steel watch cases. I guess this is what shagslayer wants.

There are companies that will PVD coat a watch case, but it won't be cheap. You can also get black DLC (diamond-like carbon/coating) done, but that's even more expensive.

I think that shagslayer is asking if he can get the movement/dial/hands swapped between two similar watches - one steel, one PVD. Is that right?
    If so, what make & model watch is it?

5. shagslayer

Nov 28, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 shagslayer, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    pvd = means turned black.

here is the watch with purple dial that i want

http://www.dexclusive.com/images/2WW/fullsize/2WW-SL-20065-011B.jpg

only i want the case black such as this model.

View attachment 4008 also i'm not worried about decreseing the value... these are only 100 dollar watchs

6. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 Registered User

May 23, 2009
    Computer engineer
    Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    If you buy both watches, any competent watch repairer will be able to swap the "guts" over for you. Shouldn't take too long. I've no idea what the labour costs are where you live, but it'd cost about £30 ($45) over here.

7. shagslayer

Nov 28, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    next question how much would it cost to have someone paint decals on it such as this

View attachment 4009

8. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I gather the "Falcons" logo is the Atlanta Falcons? If so, that logo was printed on that dial with the use of a die which is owned by the Altlanta Falcons. The die will be in possession of the dial company that printed the logo on that dial. Your chances of having that done are slim, and none! You could check with the Falcons to see which broker put those watches together for them and check with the broker to see who the dial company was. Then you'd need to have a watchmaker remove the dial for shipping to the dial company, and to re-assemble the watch upon return. About the second logo, same goes, and likely the same dial company. Best of luck, but if you really NEED a watch, don't hold your breath!

9. shagslayer

Nov 28, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    well first of all the atlanta falcons is a totaly dif looking mascot and team colors, no this is the falcons of the school i go to. 2nd of all that watch is the same silver one you see above only its been photo shopped into closely about what i want it to look like, i need someone to paint the red rotring on it, and put the college logo and i'm going to make it look like the watch brand is swiss army instead of swiss legend, how much does it cost to paint dials

10. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry! I guess I haven't been of much help. Can't do any more for you!

11. shagslayer

Nov 28, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    no your fine : ) and i appreciate you trying to help, is there such a thing as a watch painter ?

12. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
    International dial can do the work for you. There are numerous other dial refinishers. See this post: https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=67835

But, you'll have to remove the dial and and send it to them. Perhaps you can find someone to remove the dial for you after you receive the watch?

13. shagslayer

Nov 28, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hell F'n Yeah i can dude this was the answer i was looking for ! good job man ty