• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Question regarding Kieninger MSU movement models

nk14366

Nov 25, 2020
Country
Noob here trying to find answers to replacing my broken MSU13 movement.

I see some new old stock MSU01 for $350 and rebuilt MSU02 for $250, while a new MSU13 is $510. They all appear to be the exact same size, fitment, even down to triple chimes and the chime/strike selector from the photos, but nowhere can I find the differentiation among the MSU models.

I suspect all MSU units are the same fit, as the Clockworks site seems to infer (they only use the MSU designation, no numbers are mentioned), so why all the sub-numbers?

Can someone help and tell me if I can use the MSU01/02 as a replacement instead of MSU13? Thank you up front.

enigmadan

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Noob here trying to find answers to replacing my broken MSU13 movement.

I see some new old stock MSU01 for $350 and rebuilt MSU02 for $250, while a new MSU13 is $510. They all appear to be the exact same size, fitment, even down to triple chimes and the chime/strike selector from the photos, but nowhere can I find the differentiation among the MSU models.

I suspect all MSU units are the same fit, as the Clockworks site seems to infer (they only use the MSU designation, no numbers are mentioned), so why all the sub-numbers?

Can someone help and tell me if I can use the MSU01/02 as a replacement instead of MSU13? Thank you up front.
The difference between those movements may be in pendulum length, handshaft length, or both. Possibly in chime type as well. I would think the movements all would "fit" the mounting, but the pendulum and handshaft should match the original, if for no other reason than esthetics.
I'm no expert, but I would be leery of any rebuilt movement from any source I didn't know. A few hundred bucks extra for a brand new movement could save you in the long run the potential timekeeping headaches and shorter lifespan of a poorly rebuilt movement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
There are three different pendulum lengths for MSU movements and none are interchangeable. Those three are :

MSU05, 93 cm (Rated at 4000 BPH),
MSU06, 100 cm (Rated at 3800 BPH), and
MSU13, 116 cm (Rated at 3600 BPH).

Some suppliers do not handle the entire line of movements.

Most movements sold as “rebuilt” are used movements that have had a minimal amount of bushings installed. Only enough bushings to make them run are installed. Those generally will have a short lifespan. They are generally, a poor quality product and a bad investment.
Mark is correct in that your original movement can be repaired.
That is not a job for a novice.

Many clock people are prone to patch movements and call it a rebuild.

TINSTAAFL (There is no such thing as a free lunch)

Best of luck,

Dick

Reactions: NEW65 and nk14366

nk14366

Nov 25, 2020
Country
There are three different pendulum lengths for MSU movements and none are interchangeable. Those three are :

MSU05, 93 cm (Rated at 4000 BPH),
MSU06, 100 cm (Rated at 3800 BPH), and
MSU13, 116 cm (Rated at 3600 BPH).

Some suppliers do not handle the entire line of movements.

Most movements sold as “rebuilt” are used movements that have had a minimal amount of bushings installed. Only enough bushings to make them run are installed. Those generally will have a short lifespan. They are generally, a poor quality product and a bad investment.
Mark is correct in that your original movement can be repaired.
That is not a job for a novice.

Many clock people are prone to patch movements and call it a rebuild.

TINSTAAFL (There is no such thing as a free lunch)

Best of luck,

Dick
Thank you very much for you help and recommendation!!

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Most movements sold as “rebuilt” are used movements that have had a minimal amount of bushings installed. Only enough bushings to make them run are installed.
I suppose you'd have to be exceedingly familiar with a particular movement to do that. Otherwise, how would you know which bushings to install and which pivots to leave alone? Do they do that work at, say, the Hermle factory? Or maybe somewhere in China or India?

Mark Kinsler

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
"I suppose you'd have to be exceedingly familiar with a particular movement to do that. Otherwise, how would you know which bushings to install and which pivots to leave alone? Do they do that work at, say, the Hermle factory? Or maybe somewhere in China or India?"

I do not know where "rebuilt" movements found on auction sites, etc. come from.
I have only seen the disappointed clock owners who bit at a lesser priced option when their clocks have failed.
My experience is that those "rebuilds" have been poorly done and have short lives if they work at all.
In the long run, those bargain rebuilds have not worked well.
Dick

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
Butterworth Clocks lists the MSU13 with 116cm pendulum length for $350 + shipping. He has parts as well...

Reactions: NEW65

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Butterworth Clocks lists the MSU13 with 116cm pendulum length for $350 + shipping. He has parts as well...
Mark may only sell at that price to wholesale or professional accounts.
In addition, I think there was a price increase near Jan.1.
Better check with him.

Reactions: NEW65

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.