Question regarding Aaron Willard Jr. Banjo clock.

dwhit77

Feb 29, 2008
I am looking for information regarding how the throat glass was originally secured in the throat frame on Aaron Willard Jr. banjo clocks. Was the glass held in place by strips of wood secured with tacks or hide glue, or was it held in place with putty? If held using putty, are there any recommendations on appropriate formulations to approximate the original putty? Thanks!

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I've no idea about your clock, but putty (as used in glazing) was made from a mixture of flour, borax and glue.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
All timepieces (original production through 20th century reproductions) - the throat glasses were held in with strips of wood.

Andy Dervan

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Here are some examples. The first throat panel (30_Medium.jpg) is out of a timepiece that is thought to be a virtually unmolested all original, other than a couple of taper pins. While that is always an arguable claim it is a close to that as I have ever seen.

30_Medium.jpg zz4.jpg 0629clsimn_det6 - Copy.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I've no idea about your clock, but putty (as used in glazing) was made from a mixture of flour, borax and glue.

That's a new one for me - I've never heard of putty made of those ingredients,

I've only ever used glazing putty made of whiting and linseed oil, with dye added if necessary.

What are the supposed benefits of flour, borax and glue?

JTD

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi JTD
I suppose there were various ingredients made to make putty - worth a Google? - I've never tried any of them, as in the long distant past I bought it from a shop :emoji_slight_smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller