• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Question: "Optimal" time to silence HM Emporia mantel clock?

PatrickT

Dec 4, 2020
Country
Hello! I'm the proud owner of a new Howard Miller Emporia mantel clock. The spinning drum is silly but I love the clock itself. (It was a gift)

It's running great and keeping time well after a few tweaks. My question now is: Is there an "optimal" time to silence the clock each night? No matter what I do it seems to be "confused" after I turn the chimes back on until the top of the next hour . I'm following the instructions for silencing within the proper windows for the quarter hours, but no matter when I do it (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarter) I get incomplete/ wrong chimes until it resets at the top of the hour.

Any suggestions?

-Patrick

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you can set it to silence after the 3/4 hour, it will start again at the top of the hour without all that re-syncing going on ;)

Does that bottom part spin, or back and forth like a 400 day? What powers it? Interesting design.

PatrickT

Dec 4, 2020
Country
If you can set it to silence after the 3/4 hour, it will start again at the top of the hour without all that re-syncing going on ;)

Does that bottom part spin, or back and forth like a 400 day? What powers it? Interesting design.
So I silenced at 9:48 last night and this morning when I turned the chimes on at 7:52 it immediately chimed 8:00, then nothing until it reset at 9:00. That's the worst case scenario. If I turn it off at other times, say 9:20, and start it at 7:50 the next morning I get the 1/2 hour chime and then it resets at 8.

Not a major deal. Just seems weird to me that there are "safe times" to silence it, but that it means the chimes will be off until the next hour.

Two AA's power the thing at the bottom and it just spins back and forth. Not connected to the movement at all. :rolleyes: Still, it's the first mechanical clock I've had and I'm really enjoying it.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Try silencing it after the 3/4 mark, then turn it back on after the hour. All chime sync systems I have worked with all require an hour to play correctly if turned off and on at random times. That’s how they are designed to work.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How are you silencing it? That might be a factor too. I was assuming an automatic shutoff devise on the movement. If you are doing it manually, then tracer's suggestion should work for you.

PatrickT

Dec 4, 2020
Country
Hi, tracerjack and shutterbug : Sorry for the delayed reply. Been nuts lately

So I turn it off with a little lever on the side of the clock face. Assuming this is the automatic shutoff shutterbug is referring to. If I turn it off after the 3/4 hour like Tracer suggested I get the worst case scenario. (see above) When I turn it on it rings the past hour and then nothing for an hour. I've learned the optimal time (for me) on this model is after the 1/4 hour. If I turn it off and on in this period it rings the half-hour then picks up the 3/4 hour and hour correctly.

Clocks are weird, but I'm really loving this one. Classes up the joint ;)

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Glad you found a solution that works for you. But, something seems to be off on your chime correction or else your movement is constructed differently. All the chimers I have worked on if turned off after the first quarter, then turned on after the quarter, would chime the 1/2 hour tune. Then at the half hour chime the 3/4 tune. It would lock up and play no tune on the 3/4 hour. Last release on the hour and play the full tune followed by the strike. I’m still scratching my head over yours striking the previous hour when turned back on after the hour.

Reactions: Simon Holt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, it's very odd. A video of it working after you turn it back on would help us ;)

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuburnEduProf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit