Question on watch component orientation

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Buffomarinus, Apr 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Buffomarinus

Buffomarinus Registered User

Mar 7, 2020
    Country Flag:
    G'Day again,

I'm in the process of restoring a ~1901 Waltham "Riverside" 16s 17j. While disassembling the movement for cleaning I managed to separate the thin metal internal shaft from the winding/setting clutch without noting its orientation to the clutch mechanism.

In reference to the attached photo, can someone tell me the proper way to install the metal shaft on the right? Is the mushroomed end of the shaft up towards the crown end or down towards the winding gears and internal movement?

Thanks in advance,

Buffo

2.jpg

2. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Goes in from the bottom end, it will pay to have a close look at how the whole mechanism works while it is in pieces, this way you will have a better understanding of the thing you are working on. As this bit you ask about is self explanatory once you take note of all the parts associated with the winding & setting setup:)

3. Buffomarinus

Mar 7, 2020
    Country Flag:
    G'Day Bila,

Many thanks for responding.

Also thanks for the good advice. I am a bit ignorant about how the Waltham clutch mechanism actually functions. After cleaning, I "fiddled" around installing the rod both from the bottom and the top and found it would insert either way. Obviously in operation it is meant to only function one way. I'll definitely take your advice and have a closer look at the whole mechanism exposed and in situ in hopes of gaining a deeper understanding.

Thanks again,

Buffo

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Howdy, Cane Toad, :) (the Bufo genus has always been a personal favorite)

Here's a picture of all those gizmos in place. This is from another Waltham (1894 Grade 210) so the levers may be a bit different.

wind_set.jpg

The winding arbor and winding pinion (at 4-o'clock here) are fixed in place. The clutch slides back and forth on the arbor to engage either winding or setting. The stem (attached to the crown, outside the case) inserts into the hole in the arbor and presses on the plunger or push pin. When the crown is pushed in the plunger pushes on the lever, which toggles the other lever, which engages the clutch with the winding pinion. When the crown is pulled out the levers toggle the other way, sliding the clutch towards 10-o'clock to engage the setting wheel. The winding arbor will have a square hole in one end (for the stem) and a round hole in the other end. The plunger inserts into the round hole.

Hope this helps.

Glen

5. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The assembled mechanism will only go into the movement 1 way. The only part that you might install backward is the sliding gear - the teeth are different on each end so pay attention to that.

Once you know which way the mechanism goes into the plate, you'll easily see which end the center shaft goes into.

6. Buffomarinus

Mar 7, 2020
    Country Flag:
    G'Day Glen,

Ah hah... Yes, now I see! Thanks for that excellent image and equally excellent explanation.

I hope you and yours are stayin' safe and healthy up there in the Lone Star state.

Thanks again for that beaut piece of enlightenment.

Now, to put this little Waltham gem back together again!

Cheers,

Buffo... "warts and all" :)

FarNorthQueensland, Australia

7. Buffomarinus

Mar 7, 2020
    Country Flag:
    G'Day Rob,

I'll watch that sliding gear. With all the excellent advice I've received from this post, I'm pretty confident with the reassembly.

Up until now I've only mucked around with two Hamiltons and three or four Elgins. This Riverside is my first Waltham and it's a beautiful piece of work!

Thanks again to all,

Buffo

FNQ,Au