Question on Hermle Clock Movments

jmnnn

Jun 15, 2016
Country
I have a wall clock with a Hermle movement that is in rough shape, dirty, gummed up, etc. Will take some work to restore which is above my level of expertise at this time. I have found another movement that is new, never used but a few years old. They are the same part number 341-020 but they have different pendulum lengths something like 11cm vs 35cm (don't have them in front of me so I could be in error on those two numbers). Is the only difference between these the shape of the pallet over the escapement, that is the only thing that looks different. Could I swap these and re beat the clock or is there other gearing that is different.

Pete Cronos

NAWCC Silver Member
Nov 25, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Country
Region
Also look at the escape wheel and see if there is a difference and start counting gear teeth. I believe that you will find a difference there.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The answer is no, you can't switch them out. The pendulum will be too long or too short, throwing the time way off if it will even fit in the case. That movement comes in 6 different pendulum lengths, so you should match the one that is in the case now. It is still made, so finding a new one should be easy.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It can be converted. Usually two wheel/arbors assemblys have to be changed. Any of the Hermle dealers should be able to sell you the parts. These matters change over the years, so you may or may not be able to transfer the needed parts from the old movement. Also, if the plating is going bad on the pivots in the old movement this could screw up your new movement. Better to order new parts and avoid that dilemma.
Good luck,
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
jmnnn indicated that restoring the movement was above his skill set, so I assume switching gears is also. I would think a new movement of the proper type would be his easiest and best option :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Dito, even if the work could be done by the OP it probably would not be a good idea, with 3 wheels needed.
Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilGoodew
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller