Help Question for Seth Thomas Gurus

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by lugnutz59, Jan 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lugnutz59

lugnutz59 Registered User

Jan 22, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I am currently working on a Seth Thomas #120 movement that I rebuilt. The Time side runs great, but the Strike side doesn't work. Using Seven Conovers' "Striking Clock Repair Guide", I have narrowed the problem down to the Gathering Pin being out of adjustment. So I pried the Gatering Pin/Pallet off as recommended in the book, and found the position it needs to be in for proper operation.
    Now, my question is how do I press the Pallet back onto the arbor?? It's a fairly snug fit on a small pinion, and I don't want to bend or break anything. Has anyone got any suggestions? I did searh the archives, but didn't find anything there. Any and all help is appreciated! TIA!!

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a small metal rod into which I drilled a hole almost as large as the rod. I ground one side flat so I can center the hole in the rod over the arbor even if the pin is close. Then tap the rod with a hammer. At first just set it tight enough not to slip so you can test and adjust if needed. If you put in a bushing on the other plate, put a block of hard wood against the end of that arbor before driving the gathering pallet on or you may lose the bushing on the other plate.

RC

3. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I acquired an old staking kit years ago at auction. Comes in real handy for setting gathering pallets. It's basically what RC is describing. Using LocTite when placing your bushings comes in handy in these situations too as you shouldn't displace one if you need to set (or pry off) a Gathering Pallet. ;)

4. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To accomplish this I made a tool out of a 4" long piece of mainspring from a broken kitchen clock. On one end of the spring I cut and filed a narrow 1/2" long vee. The base of the vee is a sharp, acute angle (similar to a crow's foot).
    I place the cut vee so that it straddles the pinion of the arbor opposite the gathering pallet. Then using a hollow punch (carefully relieved on the punch OD so it doesn't touch the pallet's pin) I gently tap the pallet onto the arbor. The axial force of tapping will be borne by the cut mainspring against the arbor shoulder. This has worked well for me.

Bill

5. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a good idea Bill, thanks.
    Don

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I think this is close to what RC mentioned. It's made from a 3/16" mild steel rod, drilled with a 1/16" center hole. The side slot is made using a .030" cutoff tool. Notice that the slot has to come very close to the hole. This will work on nearly all smalish and medium size clocks. Just one or two very light taps will seat the GP., as already stated.
    Note, I always recommend to remesh the gearing rather than remove a pressed on GP. Willie X
    20200116_171559.jpg

woodlawndon and Old Rivers like this.
  7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Reading RC's post about problems when driving on the gathering pallet and knocking out a previously replaced bushing, reminded me that on the rare occasion that I have to bush a gathering pallet pivot hole, I do them both with flanged bushings. This way the bush can't come out if the pallet is pried off or driven on.

David

Kevin W. likes this.
  8. lugnutz59

Jan 22, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Well guys, I took your suggestions, and used a hollow punch to "tap" the pallet back on the Pivot. Worked like a charm. Only have one problem left. The clock strikes right on the hour, but at the half hour, in stead of striking one time, it strikes the same number of times as it did on the hour! I believe I just have a snail adjustment issue, but that's another project!
    Thank you for all the help! Couldn't have done it without your help!

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The lift at the half hour should be lower than that at the hour. The bottom tooth on the rack is usually shorter, so at the lift only the short tooth is released, causing a single strike.

10. lugnutz59

Jan 22, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Shutterbug, I see exactly what you are talking about. Possibly I still have to make a pallet adjustment. Back to the drawing board!
    Thanks!