Question for Rolex Expert??

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by ronion, Sep 4, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ronion

ronion Guest

I have a Rolex Cal. 1560 movement which seems to fit in my 5513 Submariner. The Subs Dial fits the 1560 movement..The problem I am having is fitting hands...The 1560 is out of an Oyster Perpetual and the Subs Mercedes hands holes seem to big. Will I have to change the Hour Wheel and Canon Pinion or can I find Mercedes Hands to fit the Hour Wheel and Canon Pinion on the 1560? Thanks...Ray

2. ronion

ronion Guest

I have a Rolex Cal. 1560 movement which seems to fit in my 5513 Submariner. The Subs Dial fits the 1560 movement..The problem I am having is fitting hands...The 1560 is out of an Oyster Perpetual and the Subs Mercedes hands holes seem to big. Will I have to change the Hour Wheel and Canon Pinion or can I find Mercedes Hands to fit the Hour Wheel and Canon Pinion on the 1560? Thanks...Ray

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ronion,

You don't say what caliber movement was in the Submariner originally, but since you have the dial and hands off that original movement, I would suspect that there is a chance you have the original movement as well. Is that so? If yes, what caliber is it, and can the hour wheel, cannon pinion etc. be transferred over to the 1560? I would suspect you are going to have to be looking for after market hands for that watch, UNLESS Rolex did actually ever use the 1560 in that model Submariner. In that case, genuine hands might be available, somewhere. Bet THAT will be a dandy to solve! If you know he caliber of the original Sumariner movement, post it and I'll look up the relative part numbers of the dial train parts for the two movements for you. Let us know how you make out.

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

4. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

As far as I know, all "15 series" Rolex movements (1520, 1530, 1555, 1560, 1570, etc.) use hands with the same size holes. Of course, the styles, colors, and lengths vary according to case type and model, but the holes should all be the same.

The variations in the motion work of different "15 series" movements are in the length (or height) of the cannon pinions and hour wheels. Watches with date functions have taller cannon pinions and hour wheels than watches without dates. Day/Date models have taller motion work yet, as do GMT Master models, and models with factory diamond dials. There are at least three or four different length cannon pinions and hour wheels for various models, as well as two or three different length sweep seconds pinions, and maybe even different length center pinions, I can't remember for sure.

The only notable difference I can think of is the GMT Master models. Of course, the 24 hour hand on these is unique to this model, as is some of the other motion work, but the hour and minute hands are the same as those used on Submariner models. The seconds hands are the same style, but their posts are different length.

In short, I don't know what you're doing wrong, but it sounds to me like your hands should fit.

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

5. ronion

ronion Guest

Thank you for the replies...The Sub case, Dial and Hands were found separate in a box of old watch parts along with a hog bog of about 4 lbs of miscellaneous gears and movement plates... I assumed they all came off the 5513 Sub. I believe the original movement might be a 1530 because I found an automatic winding assembly marked Rolex 1530 also. Thanks again....Ray

6. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ronion,

The Rolex parts book indicates that the cal. 1570 is based on the 1530. The listing for the model 1570 does not show part numbers for the dial train components, so I would infer that these parts should be the same as the 1530. Both movements are non-calendar movements, so the heights should not differ between movements. I have no idea why the 1530 hands (if in fact that is what you have) don't fit the 1570 movement.

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

7. ronion

ronion Guest

Doug...thank you..I think I need to look for a different set of hands....Ray

8. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ronion,

I just re-read your original post. It is a 1560 movement you have, not a 1570. Sorry for that. I went back to the Rolex parts catalog, and, again, the 1560 is ALSO a basic 1530 movement, using 1530 dial train parts. I suspect the hands you have might be from something else. In your box of parts, have you tried to locate what MIGHT be the cannon pinion and hour wheel from the 1530 movement?

Regards,
    Doug S.

9. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous message. All "15 series" Rolex movements (1520, 1530, 1535, 1536, 1555, 1560, 1565, 1570, 1575, etc.) are based on the 1530 model. The 1530 is the "basic" model, from which all the others are derived.

In many cases, Rolex movements are not what they're marked. This is not a result of mismatched parts, it's the way they come! For example, you will never find a Rolex movement marked "1575," even though that's a very common model. All 1575 movements are marked "1570," but the true 1570 models do not have calendars. Watchmakers just have to "understand" that Rolex movements marked "1570," but having calendars, are actually 1575s. Basically, the "5" on the end of the movement number means it has a calendar.

Various refinements were made in the "15 series" movements through the years, and eventually, the basic 1530 models were entirely discontinued. The primary difference between the 1530 and 1560 models is that 1560s are free sprung, while 1530s have conventional regulators. Both have balances that vibrate at 18k bph, but the 1570 and 1575 models have balances vibrated at 19,800 bph.

In any event, all this stuff is really irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that all "15 series" Rolex movements use hour and minute hands with the same size holes, unless something has been modified. Since the hands found "with" the Submariner case mentioned above are not known to have actually gone with the case, it's my opinion that either they are from a fake Rolex, or they are from a "30" or "31 series" movement. Those have hands that are entirely different from the ones for "15 series" movements. In short, I think Ray needs a new set of hands to fit a "15 series" movement, and if he doesn't know anyone who can get these from Rolex (Hmmm?.?), he can buy fairly nice "replacements" from Cas-Ker, etc.

Again, I hope this helps!

SM

10. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

By the way, I need a rotor bridge for a Rolex calibre 1065 (1030 would also work). If anyone here happens to have one of these, I'd give a very fair price for it. They are only available from Rolex on an "exchange" basis, and I don't have one to exchange.

SM