Question for E. Howard experts......

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
In the previous discussion on the newly discovered E. Howard & Co. #250,003, I posted some information including the fact that this particular
run of four Howards were the only ones marked "USA" on the back plate. Twice now on a different board a collector with 50+ years experience
has stated that the statement is not true. Can any Howard expert out there tell me what other E. Howards, besides that one single run of four,
that are marked "USA" on the back plate? I'm sure it was obvious to everybody with any knowledge of Howards at all, that we were not discussing the "Keystone Howards" that do have that marking.

Harold

Bryan Eyring

Dec 11, 2007
Country
Region
Hi Harold, not sure but have you tried asking THE expert?

Also, for all who are wondering, the thread pertaining to the Howard that originated all of this discussion has been quarantined as we try to work out certain issues with select users. It will be back up as soon as these issues are rectified.

Regards,
Bryan

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Hi Harold,

To state the obvious, no one person has a monopoly on expertise on this subject. The run of four watches we have been discussing recently are the only early Howard movements marked "U.S.A." that I have ever seen or heard of from a credible source. It is not just a coincidence that both of the known cased examples of this run turned up in English cases. The "U.S.A." marking clearly distinguished these movements as having been finished for export. Could there be other such movements? Certainly. We are talking about the most inconsistent and idiosynchratic American watch manufacturer of them all, and many strange things happened towards the end of the Howard company's watchmaking history. In fact, for the sake of the hobby, I hope there are other such interesting movements in the world. However, I will believe that there actually are other such movements when I see the evidence.

Last edited:

Bryan Eyring

Dec 11, 2007
Country
Region
However, I will believe that there actually are other such movements when I see the evidence.
Hi Clint;

I have seen at least one said movement and assure you that they do indeed exist...

Clint, so how many years of experience do you have on this topic?

Regards,
Bryan

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Mr. Eyring,

If you have seen such a watch, then tell us about it. What exactly is it? Please provide the collecting community with the cold, hard information it needs to draw its own conclusions.

And who precisely are you to judge other people's credentials? What exactly have you contributed to collective horological knowledge in your life?

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics