• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Question about Waltham PW center wheel

Charlie Ryan

NAWCC Member
Dec 10, 2017
Annapolis, MD
Country
Hi All

I'm trying to get a Waltham 1883 PW working. I'm just a wristwatch repair hobbyist with no PW experience. I was surprised to find threads holding the pinion onto the center wheel. Is it for ease of manufacturing or does it serve an operational purpose? I also notice that the threads are closer to one end of the pinion. Should that end sit on the wheel? I didn't notice which end was up when disassembling.

Thank you
Charlie

IMG_6635.JPG

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Charlie,

That is called a Safety Pinion, designed to unthread when you have a Mainspring failure. It saves the gear train from damage if the power let loose all at one time.

Look at this youtube on it.

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
thx for posting the video explanation... not sure why it took five minutes to say 'the pinion is screwed on so it can unscrew in case of emergency to prevent damage' :)

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Bruce,

Yes, It was produced on a elementary grade school level, but it finally told us` what the meaning was........

With Youtube you have to use what is available :whistle: :eek: but I did learn how to adjust the valves on my Ferris zero turn mower.:clap:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeT
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-