Barr & Poole Question about the Barr Electric.

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by H.Weiland, Aug 13, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. H.Weiland

H.Weiland Deceased
    Deceased

This last weekend our regional mart was held in Merrillville, Indiana which was quite successful.

I found an interesting Barr Electric, a very similar clock to the Poole Electric. What surprised me is that this clock which is nearly identical to the standard battery operated clocks, operates on 120 volts alternating current. Out the back of the clock is a nornal line cord and plug.

The clock is original, without alteration, no evidence of a battery compartment having ever been fitted or some later conversion.

Even more perplexing is the fact that the magnet's poles are not laminated. Laminations are the stack of thin sheets of metal which are ganged together in A. C. magnet poles in place of soft solid iron used in D.C. magnet poles. The A. C. magnet pole laminations prevent unwanted "eddy" currents being formed in A.C. device magnetic circuits, but this clock is completely standard with what appears to be standard soft iron poles. The coil D. C. resistance is 500 ohms. The standard battery operated clock coil resistance is in the area of only 25 ohms. So there is no doubt that this clock was intended to operate on line voltage.

The design is quite successful, no audible hum or buzz when the magnet is powered, just a soft tick.

My question is were these 120 volt clocks available from the outset or a late developement? Are they common?

Thank you for any information!

Henry Weiland

2. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Henry,

I have seen a few of them. Sometimes they have enamel dials.

Ralph

3. swolf

swolf Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Deceased

Nov 24, 2002
    MA
    Country Flag:
    Henry, the pulse of current is so short, the core has no time to heat up. It has a very low duty cycle.
    The factory must have known what the were doing since the clock seems to run flawlesly and they didn't have to manufacture an AC core..

By the way did you ever get the info describing how to sync the Simplex digital clocks to 60 cycles?

Sherm

4. H.Weiland

H.Weiland Deceased
    Deceased

I have contacted the local Simplex office which has been very helpful in the past. This time no luck. When I get to Chicago I will try there, perhaps they might have the data we need.

Thanks!

Henry Weiland

5. caperace

caperace Registered User

Nov 1, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is the info on syncing Simplex digital clocks.

Attached Files: