Question about New Haven movement

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
I might be answering my own question but was there a weight-driven version of this particular movement? I found this in a hall clock. Evidently, someone replaced the movement with a spring-driven one as the chain and weights are still in it to simulate a weight-driven one. The ladder chains are crudely screwed to the backboard. A shame.

Ron
movement 2.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I can't recall ever seeing a weight-driven version of this movement, which is often called the square-aperture movement and appears on occasion in Anglo-American clocks.

Reactions: Rockin Ronnie

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Ron,

If this clock originally had a weight-driven movement, there would be a seat board present, or signs of a seat board, or a bracket. A weight-driven movement needs both the rear and front plates supported (cuckoos are an exception?). I have a Gilbert "San Sara" mission floor clock that has a spring-driven movement and fake (empty) weights from the factory (Tran page 355). Maybe someone just added the weights to your clock to make it look like it was weight-driven.

Can you post a picture of the clock so that we can look it up to see if it was supposed to be weight-driven? New Haven did make spring-driven mission floor clocks.

Jim

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
Just to be clear, Rockin Ronnie's and wow's movements are not the same. I took the OP's question to refer to that specific movement (plate design and gear trains). New Haven did make some 8-day movements that could be set up as spring-driven or weight-driven. Like Steven Thornberry, I don't know if that is true of this particular movement. However, in my experience, in the movements that came in both spring-driven and weight-driven variants, the weight-driven ones used cords (not chains) for the weights.
Mike

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Yes, a seat board makes sense. There is a raised wood platform to accommodate the spring-driven movement. There are 4 screws holding the platform in place. In the next day or so, I will take that out to see if the clock once had a seat board. I only paid $75 for this clock, so, not a great loss if it has been altered. The movement is on a test stand and is running and striking, so, that's a positive!
Grandfather clock.jpg

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Ron,

Your clock does not match anything in Tran Duy Ly's New Haven Clocks and Watches book. The hands are New Haven, the solid brass numerals are New Haven. New Haven did sell mechanical packages to case builders.

And, you're weights look a little small. I have the same New Haven movement that Will has in clocks (non New Haven cases) and the weights are 9" long (without hook), 2" in diameter and each weighs 8 pounds. The ladder chain New Haven used is 40 links per foot.

Jim

Reactions: Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
I removed the raised platform and could not see any evidence of a seat board ever being in this case. I think this is a one-of and not a New Haven factory clock. 72bpm, does that sound right?

Ron

Last edited:

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
A spring-driven New Haven movement, dial, hands, etc. in a one-of hall clock case is a little odd but since I have time on my hands I decided to service the movement and refresh the case with a thorough cleaning, a top coat of Poly-Wipe, and polish the brass. I even kept the fake (empty cans) brass weights for effect. The clock runs well at 72bpm and keeps decent time.
RS New Haven all assembled1_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ksaylor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller