• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Question about NAWCC

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
Hello Everyone,
I have a question about the Bulletin that is put out by the NAWCC. It seems that I am not recieving the Bulletins and Mart News anymore. I had to call to get the November/December edition sent to me and now I am still waiting for the January/Febuary 2021 edition to be sent.
Is this all online now or is it just poor mail service. Is anyone else here having this problem? Just curious, James

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
Two NAWCC registrations available

$80 annual for basically on line only
$90 annual to get printed copies of the Bulletin & Mart.

Did you just recently renew and made the wrong selection?

Richadd

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
My copies have arrived.

In all seriousness, usps must still be overwhelmed from the Holliday's (on top of covid) so delays are not uncommon. Everything arrives without issue, it just gets hung up along the way it seems.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
I just received my Jan-Feb issue in the last day or two.

Does your membership include the print copy?

P..S. I see that Richadd (sic) and Rick replied while I was typing.

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
Hi,
I did pay extra for print copies. I also paid for gift subscriptions . If some members are just receiving their copies I guess I will just have to wait until the P.O gets around to delivering it.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
James:

Last July I never received my July/August Bulletin. I waited a month then inquired and Rhianna at HQ mailed me another copy. The September/October Bulletin never arrived either but I got another from HQ. The November / December came late, and the January / February arrived on January 9.

I remember when I used to get the Bulletin about three days before the month started!

The mail is very slow now but it wasn't in July through September last year. Your Bulletin may be stuck in the mail somewhere or it got lost or never sent. Wait a little longer then ask HQ for another copy.

Frank

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Hi,
I did pay extra for print copies. I also paid for gift subscriptions . If some members are just receiving their copies I guess I will just have to wait until the P.O gets around to delivering it.
Although I prefer hard copy, I get impatient and generally read them online before our copy arrives in the mail. With all the Covid-related mail delays, it usually arrives around mid-month.

James J Nicholson

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2019
Canadensis PA
Country
Region
James:

Last July I never received my July/August Bulletin. I waited a month then inquired and Rhianna at HQ mailed me another copy. The September/October Bulletin never arrived either but I got another from HQ. The November / December came late, and the January / February arrived on January 9.

I remember when I used to get the Bulletin about three days before the month started!

The mail is very slow now but it wasn't in July through September last year. Your Bulletin may be stuck in the mail somewhere or it got lost or never sent. Wait a little longer then ask HQ for another copy.

Frank
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the info. I had noticed packages on ebay were taking a month to arrive but didnt notice regular mail and periodicals were also affected. Guess I'll just wait it out a few more days. Thanks James

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
My Bulletin/Mart did not arrive until 11th.

If you dont't receive them contact:

Stacey Streyer 717-684-8261 ext 210

Andy Dervan

Reactions: James J Nicholson

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
The USPS: I took a package to the Post Office Wednesday, Priority 1 from the Dallas area to Michigan. Thinking that it was a 2 day delivery, they told me that the recipient could expect it on Tuesday the next week. Asked them about the 2 day delivery and they said that they were not doing that anymore.....so now I question the use of Priority and expect that it will only get longer to deliver items.

Perhaps the NAWCC should adjust the schedule to send out the items for March on the 1st of February.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
A package that I ordered at the end of December from Georgia and sent to me in Cleveland OH via 2-day priority mail took 11 days.

The March Bulletin won't be anywhere near ready by Feb 1.

Frank

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
A package that I ordered at the end of December from Georgia and sent to me in Cleveland OH via 2-day priority mail took 11 days.

The March Bulletin won't be anywhere near ready by Feb 1.

Frank
So plan the following Bulletin so it can be distributed early.

Bila

NAWCC Member
Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Very much like most modern day businesses (and yes it is becoming a business), more Staff and still less gets done on time. So the end users' are the ones that suffer, yet they are the bread & butter of the organisation:(

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Very much like most modern day businesses (and yes it is becoming a business), more Staff and still less gets done on time.
Actually, staff has been cut -- or lost by attrition and not replaced -- by about 40%. But that may not be good. We no longer have an ED, a museum director, a museum curator, an event coordinator, clock and watch instructor(s), and we're missing at least one library person. I don't know about the rest of HQ.

Frank

Bila

NAWCC Member
Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
I am surprised at that, the cutting of Staff, that thought the goal of the organization was to expand and attract more Horological people, a bit hard to do when you can not supply a good service either way?

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I have not yet received the most recent issue of the Bulletin.

Today, I just received a package that was one month overdue.

I continue to receive non-packages - bills that are now overdue, Christmas cards, etc. - that should have been received four to six weeks earlier.

I am not sure if the USPS considers the NAWCC Bulletin a package. I would not be surprised if they do consider it a package. Regardless, here is a timely article on the subject:

Why is your USPS package still in transit? Philadelphia mail, shipping delays persist (inquirer.com)

I am sure the same issues pertain to USPS distribution centers across the U.S.

Additionally, if memory serves me correctly, the 3rd party printer mails the Bulletins, not the NAWCC. I have no idea of the physical location of the printer.

Wherever you live in the world, with all the devastation and disruption that COVID has caused, it is my opinion that a two or even a four week disruption in receiving the Bulletin should be very low on our list of items that are disturbing to us - especially since the Bulletin is available online.

Regards.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
USPS has been ridiculous lately. It started last year. I've had a couple of 30+ days deliveries. One a first class, and another 2-day Priority. ...and many 2 week plus.

Ralph

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
It started last year.
Ralph,

I agree. It started much earlier than just the past month or two.

This past summer, it was taking a week to receive a letter that was mailed less than 20 miles away. It would normally take two days pre-COVID.

It was not as prevalent as it is now, but is was in the early stages.

Regards.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Yesterday I received a postcard from a shop located about five miles away -- one township over -- that was advertising its Christmas sale -- Dec 20 - 24! As it came addressed "Occupant" they must have sent out thousands of these to canvas at least the two zip codes in a five mile radius.

Frank

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

On January 5, I received a Christmas card (First Class mail) that was postmarked in this same city on December 13. I have noted over the past few months that mail has become slower and slower here. Some of that, as has been widely and credibly reported, has a political basis. Budget and overtime cutbacks slow service times. Other slowdowns may be associated with holiday volume increases, hangover from postal voting (Colorado overwhelmingly votes by mail), and other unknown factors.

It is my opinion that the USPS does an exemplary job of delivering the mail quickly and economically, especially given the circumstances it finds itself in. Frankly, the phrase "lost in the mail" is – in my experience – almost never true, especially given the sheer volume of mail pieces processed every day.

Periodical mail (I used to edit a magazine with about 70,000 circ.) is not a high priority for the USPS as far as service time, even in the best of circumstances. It is handled sort of on a priority basis. That is, if volume is low, even in a specific area, periodicals get processed and transported rapidly. When volume is high, the opposite happens. In my experience, it was not surprising to find that someone across the country received his copy in just a few days, while someone in the same city might have to wait three weeks.

If the USPS had the turnaround time of the average clock or watch repair shop, it would have been out of business long ere since.

I am a subscriber to the old DVD version of Netflix, because most of the films that interest me are not available via streaming. Before midsummer, I used to be able to drop a viewed DVD into the mail on Monday or Tuesday, and receive the next item in queue before Saturday. Now, it can take upwards of 10 days for my next disk to show up.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
We suffer with the issue that the local post office delivers the mai; however, it gets delivered to one of my neighbors that may be anywhere from 1 to 4 homes away. Or it is delivered to 1, 2 or 3 streets over where homes have the same number.

There are some other issues other than volume in play here. Go stand in line in some post offices where the employees could care.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.