• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Question about helper spring on old cast Cuckoo movement

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
I have overhauled a number of these old cast cuckoo movements now and a doubt just popped into my head. I'm referring to the inside front plate mounted, straight wire spring that is apt to puncture your hand while doing re-assembly. Normally, I have placed the needle-like spring underneath the strike lever so it propels the hammer downward as the lift pin drops off the main wheel. That seemed right and has apparently been working on the clocks I've overhauled.

But a momentary thought flashed through my brain while working on another of these century old birds. The spring could also be positioned on the top of the strike lever, acting as a damper. Herschede has spring dampers on their tube units that are adjusted to allow the hammer to strike, but prevent a double-strike. Could that be the real purpose of this needle?

Sorry, I know a photo would help my explanation immensely, but it's running on the wall ....a photo is not easy.

So is this needle spring a strike assist or a strike damper?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Bill, the only older movement I have has a coil spring helper, definately there to give a harder thump on the gong. So I would say it is a helper, not a damper.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The wire spring is indeed a helper, as it is on many German and French clocks.
The thin wire hammer is enough to give it enough "bounce" to keep the hammer clear of the gong.

HTH

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
bc,

It's a helper sping (and a tiny harpoon) just as you thought.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-