• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Question about clock types and value?

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
What are they and what are they worth in running condition? They seem to have a Base like a mantel clock rather than a wall clock. Came from Rhode Island in an antique shop.
122198424_10220241914731123_3034475246544159463_o.jpg 122299199_10220241915931153_3436174197526280016_o.jpg 122258228_10220241915531143_4343125353410024825_o.jpg 122340110_10220241915331138_78578708650811530_o.jpg

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Reactions: legosnell

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
The first two pictures, I would call parlor clocks

The third and fourth picture I would call kitchen clocks.

The terminology sometimes gets intertwined between the two styles.

Regards.
Appreciate that. Probably not that valuable. Maybe $100 each or so?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Appreciate that. Probably not that valuable. Maybe $100 each or so?
Depends where you live, I think. In Europe they are very hard to sell.

Your best guide to prices would be to look at the 'completed/sold sales' section of E-Bay for similar clocks.

The cases of the ones you show have been heavily 'restored', which some collectors might not like.

JTD

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Depends where you live, I think. In Europe they are very hard to sell.

Your best guide to prices would be to look at the 'completed/sold sales' section of E-Bay for similar clocks.

The cases of the ones you show have been heavily 'restored', which some collectors might not like.

JTD
Sort of like a piece of antique furniture that has been re-finished, ruins value. Appreciate that.

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Hi.
Although the watches have been intervened, I see them very complete and original.
Just removing that shiny modern varnish and replacing it with a shellac or wax polish would look great.
I understand that in the US they are undervalued watches, they were made by the millions.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Both clocks look in good shape and probably original, I certainly would not remove the finish, it looks pretty good. As to value, $100 to $150, the darker one the best.If you are selling them it would cost too much to be worthwhile Good luck.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
1st clock is probably Walnut and "Parlor Clock" is good description; it has time, strike, and alarm function. This type of clock was popular beginning in late 1880's until turn of century. It has dial issues that impact its value.

2nd clock is steamed impressed oak case often referred to as "Kitchen Clocks". The case seems very shiny that someone
put a coat varnish on later. It dates from 1890s.

Andy Dervan

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Both clocks look in good shape and probably original, I certainly would not remove the finish, it looks pretty good. As to value, $100 to $150, the darker one the best.If you are selling them it would cost too much to be worthwhile Good luck.
I'm looking at buying them locally. From what I can find on Ebay, this type clock is not that valuable. Like you said probably 100-150, some less, some more.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
We had a collection of 75+/- of them from a shop a friend purchased. There were both oak and better grade walnut/mahogany parlor clocks in the lot. We took them to the Dallas NAWCC show 3 or 4 years ago. We sold all but 5 or 6 of them, they were rats. Our selling prices ranged from $25 to $75. I guess I did give one of them away. Just so as to not have to inventory and move it again, and also to amuse me.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
We had a collection of 75+/- of them from a shop a friend purchased. There were both oak and better grade walnut/mahogany parlor clocks in the lot. We took them to the Dallas NAWCC show 3 or 4 years ago. We sold all but 5 or 6 of them, they were rats. Our selling prices ranged from $25 to $75. I guess I did give one of them away. Just so as to not have to inventory and move it again, and also to amuse me.
Who made them? German. I'm surprised that these parlor and kitchen clocks don't demand a higher value, They are attractive clocks, vintage clocks, some with chime and alarm function. I offered $50 each for a total of $100 for both, we will see but I guess from what you say, not worth much.

Last edited:

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
ours were all American made. One of the reasons they don't command a higher price is there are so darned many of them still today. They were given out as premiums for buying soap, cigars, and other commonly used household goods for nearly 40 years by just about everybody.....

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I would be thrilled to sell one of those types of clocks for $100-150. Just doesn't happen, at least not for me, anymore. I won't touch 'em.

Around here, honestly, you almost can't give them away....actually I did. I had an oak one that I got as a part of a lot of stuff. It was nice. I gave it to my cleaning lady. She was thrilled!!

Doesn't mean that they don't show up in NE antique shops with asking prices even > than as above.

I remember maybe > 20 years ago when people were crazy for golden oak furniture, the oak "gingerbreads" or "kitchen clocks" or "parlor clocks" or whatever you want to call them were bringing significant amounts of money, especially if stripped, polyurethaned and bright and shiny like most golden oak furniture. Now, enjoy them as rugged hardy clocks.

There are hanging versions of the gingerbreads. Again, once highly sought after, but no more.

Some of the Commemorative Series oak gingerbreads by Ingraham and Welch (not "Welsh") still bring better money but not nearly what they once did. Examples of these can be found by searching the forums.

There are versions designed to hang in a corner. I believe they were made by Gilbert. Those still bring better money than their more pedestrian brethren.

RM

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Ok this newbee appreciates the info on these Parlor and Kitchen Clocks. I have withdrawn my offer. Didn't realize but now do. Thanks for the heads up on value.

Larry E Gosnell

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
RM, funny you should mention giving one away recently. I had a former customer's kitchen clock that I had done a complete overhaul of, more than 25 years ago. The customer never picked it up and did not respond to repeated calls, letters, and so forth. It was a decent oak version in nice shape. I put a pendulum on it a couple of years ago, wound it, and presto, it ran fine. I gave it to my barber's wife. She loved and he insisted on my getting a free haircut. So, the value in the market today must have been about $20? If that was the case that was one darned cheap overhaul. I won't even consider repairing them today. And to that point, I have another oak mantle clock I did under protest 3+ years ago for a friend of my wife. I did it for free, and it is still here. She hasn't bothered to pick it up.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
RM, funny you should mention giving one away recently. I had a former customer's kitchen clock that I had done a complete overhaul of, more than 25 years ago. The customer never picked it up and did not respond to repeated calls, letters, and so forth. It was a decent oak version in nice shape. I put a pendulum on it a couple of years ago, wound it, and presto, it ran fine. I gave it to my barber's wife. She loved and he insisted on my getting a free haircut. So, the value in the market today must have been about $20? If that was the case that was one darned cheap overhaul. I won't even consider repairing them today. And to that point, I have another oak mantle clock I did under protest 3+ years ago for a friend of my wife. I did it for free, and it is still here. She hasn't bothered to pick it up.
I just imagine these clocks left on your door step swaddled in a blanket placed in a little basket with a note asking you to care for their clock?

I think there may be a need for a clock orphanage??

RM

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The most recent orphan to be left on my doorstep in the dead of night would be this beast. It has a history of being a problem child for several skilled clockmakers/shops/artisans/aficionados. Like some other musical clocks I have had, this one defied conventional wisdom on multiple levels. Intermittent music, often would run out of control and play multiple times before stopping, other times it would not play music at all, then it might work properly for two cycles, then run amuck. After about 30-40 hrs of observation, testing, adjusting, and soliciting support from dark spirits or cursing the same, it is finally working fairly well. It carries the name of a famous maker, it would be entirely correct to say it is over-accessorized and has more than one unnecessary feature/trait in its design. Overly complicated to no useful end. Sounds like my career? I think I am going to remove my doorstep.

20201108_105854.jpg 20201108_105849.jpg 20201108_105839.jpg

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Wonder what that musical clock plays... Rube Goldberg's Symphony? Perhaps the Typewriter Inferno in E Minor. Wouldn't be complete without mentioning the old classic 'Tingaling Pingaling'. Despite the ample usage of brass, it's still a cuckoo clock.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Kitchen clocks refered to as well as gingerbread clocks can be found here for 25 dollra or less.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
well, that cuckoo clock has a 6 digit value, it plays 7 tunes, it was one of several musical clocks featured in a recent extensively researched book by a very well know author and clock expert, etc. And the tunes it plays can be seen on the dial

20201119_152859.jpg

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
"But it still can't flip pancakes!"

It's an interesting clock and goes to show how much effort went into clockmaking back in the old days. Not only did one have to build it, but also design it and make everything work one way or another.

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Some of these clocks are the life's work of a clockmaker, spending every spare minute in his masterpiece. Many never even got to see any other light than the craftsman's workshop.
I get the impression that this was the case, maybe you fixed a defect that brought its creator upside down ...