Question about cannon pinion

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
whatdoesyourwatchsay.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I bought a Mido Multifort circa 1940s.

The movement winds and the hands can be set but the hour and minute hand do not move when the movement is running.

I assume the issue is the cannon pinion, but I wanted to ask if there might be another problem that would be causing this.

I've never tightened a cannon pinion before and I understand the process, but I don't have a tightening tool or a staking set.

I'm trying to figure out if there might be another issue causing the problem before I disassemble the movement to take a look under the dial.

Last edited:

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
Thanks for this info Jim. I was worried it might be an offset cannon pinion as I had that trouble with a Cauny Submersible with an AS movement a couple years back. When I removed the dial it was a standard set up with the cannon on the center wheel pinion.

I'm a bit angry with myself because I started working on the movement and had my camera next to me but I forgot to take a pic of the dial side. I like these types of posts because they can be information for future members looking for information and I dropped the ball on this one.

I removed the hands and dial and sure enough the cannon pinion was a slight bit looser than it should be. I removed it and slipped a brass taper pin inside. I was lucky to find an old pair of nail clippers with straight edges rather than curved. (Oddly enough I stopped using them because they weren't very sharp and did a lousy job trimming nails.) I oriented the pinion to the original crimps on the sides and gave a very slight press with the clippers. It was enough to keep the cannon pinion snug but not overly tight. I tested first the minute hand loosely on the pinion and watched as it ran, then tried the hour hand on the hour wheel and again it ran.

I replaced the dial and hands and set the watch and it's been keeping time for two hours.

One thing that surprised me is I was expecting a Mido caliber 1002 (Peseux 170 base movement) but it isn't that. Not sure what it is. I'm going to look through Dr. Ranfft's site when I have some time this afternoon.

DSCN4788.JPG

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
The movement has been running (cased) for close to 24 hours and gained almost 10 minutes.

I looked at the hairspring and noticed the stud was pushed up into the cock as far as it could go and the hairspring was slightly dished and the outer coil didn't have much room inside the index.

I lowered the stud so it was flat with the cock and the spring was flat and the outer coil now had room to vibrate between the index.

When I wound the movement and put it on the timing machine it had a low amplitude and was gaining over 600 minutes per day. There wasn't much deviation in positions.

After moving the stud the amplitude increased to over 200 and the gain was around 200 minutes.

I'm going to see how it's running Monday morning.

I went to Dr. Ranfft's site and found this is a Felsa 294 base movement that Mido called Mido 10.5''' new:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Mido 10.5'''new (Felsa 294)

Mido made modifications to the mainspring and stem ( I assume to deal with their waterproof crown system). The train, lever and escape wheel are solid gold. Looking at the center wheel I thought it looked like gold but didn't imagine that would appear in a wristwatch, but there we are. The movement also dates from the early 1930s which makes the watch older than I originally believed.

I'd been trying to find this dial for a couple of years and was happy to find one in Montreal. Not happy that the seller wasn't honest with his description regarding how the movement was running, but I'm happy enough to keep it. The hour and minute hands are 1950s replacements, so I'll have to keep an eye open for original hands.

DSCN4785.JPG

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb
Encyclopedia Pages