• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Question about a weight driven ST?

coop301

Nov 23, 2009
Apopka, FL
Country
Region
I recently aquired an ST weight driven Pillar clock (2nd pic posted in https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=62626) .

Here is my question.

Does anyone have a good example of this clock? I am looking for a picture of the original weight hooks. The movement just has Thomas, Plymouth Conn USA stamped on the front plate near the center.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Coop, you'll have to brighten up that picture. The weight hooks of that time frame were just pieces of wire, bent in the shape of a figure eight with one end open to hook to the weight.

coop301

Nov 23, 2009
Apopka, FL
Country
Region
Coop, you'll have to brighten up that picture. The weight hooks of that time frame were just pieces of wire, bent in the shape of a figure eight with one end open to hook to the weight.
That is really all I needed. Were they brass or steel?

As far as the clock itself, the case (needs cleaning) and movement are in good shape for it's age. Just a guess but between 1865 and 1880. The draw stings have rotted and need to be replaced. Has what I believe to be original weights, dial face and hands. The bob is another story. :confused: There is alot of cleaning to do on the movement but the pivot holes seem intact enough. And it needs a new 11" pendulum rod. Other than that, it is a nice piece for $75.00.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
They are steel. I use the leftover steel from suspension rods, so order one longer than you need.
Is it an 8 day or thirty hour? Sounds like a good clock for the price.:D

coop301

Nov 23, 2009
Apopka, FL
Country
Region
Know what? Forgot about this post. I will make some steel ones. I have some spare rod laying about. In another post, I asked this very question. there is a hole in the top center of the case. I remember seeing pics of another clock that had a sting coming out of the hole. What is the string attached to inside?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Could be attached to a loop on the countwheel lever, to advance the strike, when out of sync. But most clocks use a rod hanging down off the lever for this. Could also have been for shipping, as some clocks used dowel rod in holes in the case to keep the clocks in place in the shipping crates.

coop301

Nov 23, 2009
Apopka, FL
Country
Region
Could be attached to a loop on the countwheel lever, to advance the strike, when out of sync. But most clocks use a rod hanging down off the lever for this. Could also have been for shipping, as some clocks used dowel rod in holes in the case to keep the clocks in place in the shipping crates.

Thanks for the info. It does have the rod hanging down from the count lever. Having a dowel into the case for shipping purposes sounds a bit extreme even for those days but is still a viable explaination. But, in thinking about it, why not have one in the bottom as well? :confused:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The bottom, being flat, would be easier to fit slats of wood around to hold in place. The top had the weight pulleys, so couldn't be packed tight against the case. Just conjecture on my part though, as we have no evidence of the packing crates used in the 1800's to ship them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-