Question About A Case sleeve wrench

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by penjunky, Jun 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. penjunky

penjunky Registered User
    Donor

Jul 25, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hey all;

I have a 14 point Star case sleeve wrench, made in Switzerland, but it don't want to fit the sleeve very good. Seems like the size that would fit is a bit to small to catch the notches and the next size is a bit too big to go inside the sleeve. So could it possibly be metric maybe? I didn't think so when I bought it because supposedly it came from a watchmakers estate. I did as always clean the case sleeve good so the wrench would have no trouble getting into the notches. Any of you guys have any issue with the star brand sleeve wrench?

20200628_161830.jpg

2. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The forks are for installing the sleeve and adjusting not for first time removal first put a few drops Kroil or other penetrating oil on the threads and let it sit for awhile (remember it may have been in there for 100 years)the use one of the square ended points that fits into the sleeve snugly and remove it. if you see a lot of used sleeve wrenches with broken forks it is because somebody used them to remove the sleeve.

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Filregrif, thanks for that, always wondered why so many of the two prong tips were broken.

4. penjunky

penjunky Registered User
    Donor

Jul 25, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #4 penjunky, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Thanks Firegriff.

But unless I am doing something wrong, the two square-ended prongs that I am trying to use, one will go inside the sleeve but is too small because I can fell looseness, and the other is too big because I can feel it not going into the slots in the sleeve. And I did oil it for a long time. I figure just possible a clone wrench or something, but I can tell that I cannot get the right fit to unscrew the sleeve and I sure don't want to use the forked ones (a lesson learned long time ago.

A bit more. I have taken out three 16s pocket watch case sleeves lately with one of the square ended prongs but it seemed i didn't get that snug fit but I did get them out without damage (except for one which had been operated on in the past) and now I am trying to get my first sleeve from an 18s case and really cannot get a good snug fit with any of the square ended prongs. I looked into it through my loop and a light but cannot see any damage to the slots in the sleeve. Roger

5. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I had similar problems with a Swiss made sleeve wrench, at least when working on American pocket watches. The Swiss tool was of recent/current production, although I don't recall the manufacturer's name.

Anyways those problems went away after I acquired a vintage 10-prong sleeve wrench marketed by K&D. I've always found that one of the prongs fit properly.

KENDRICH & DAVIS likely made &/or marketed different versions of their sleeve wrenches so you may need to poke around a bit to get the proper tool for your anticipated usage.

penjunky likes this.
  6. penjunky

penjunky Registered User
    Donor

Jul 25, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks a million viclip.
    I went looking on ebay yesterday and maybe found one so will do as you said. Thanks again and stay safe...Roger

viclip likes this.
  7. Firegriff

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A few picts, As with most watch tools some fitting is required to get a good fit with the forks.

1 Find a tip that fits snugly in the upper sleeve.JPG 2 Remove Sleave.JPG 3 Install and ajust with the fork tip.JPG

penjunky likes this.
  8. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
  9. Firegriff

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    As with most watch tools some fitting is required to get a good fit with the forks.
    It is only marked K&D it is one of many that I have picked up buying junk drawers there is usually one that fits. The large new Swiss one came with an pre-broke fork but I did not notice for about a year to late to return.

DSC_0036.JPG

penjunky and viclip like this.
  10. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This explanation of the 2-prong versus 4-prong bits is entirely new to me and I have not seen that in any literature. My understanding is that the 2-prong bits are for the old-fashioned sleeves that just had one slot and the 4-prong bits are for newer sleeves with cross-slots. Either one will remove or install the appropriate sleeve.
    sleeve wrench.jpg

penjunky likes this.