Question about 2 Mauthe movements

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Rockin Ronnie, Oct 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two Mauthe wall clocks that date somewhere between 1900 and about 1910. They are both count wheel strikes. One has the count wheel on the outside of the plates using the usual lifters while the other has the count wheel between the plates with a series of levers much like an American time and strike.

The horse crown clock is the one with the inside count wheel and levers. Yes, I wondered about the solder job myself. I think someone put on a larger dial or a dial from another clock. Still trying to figure that one out.

Question. When did Mauthe change their design? And does the design change help when dating a clock?

Ron

RS movement servicing (3).jpg RS Horse crown movement (22).jpg RS Finial added (3).jpg RS Mauthe wall clock Oct 27.jpg

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another question. Regarding the first movement. How are the barrels removed and can I remove the striking barrel without taking the countwheel off? The ratchet wheels seem to be very tight.

Ron

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't recall that Mauthe movements are designed like that, but it costs nothing to try. Let down the spring, remove the keeper and the ratchet wheel and then see if the arbor will pull out. If not, no harm done. Check the back side for an e-clip too, just in case.