Query strike on Hermle 1151/0451 movements

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by NEW65, Jun 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chaps,
    I have been unwell for a week now but will respond to the thread I started on sourcing clock materials. Thank you for your kind replies.
    I work with Hermle movements all the time - esp the Hermle 1151 and 0451 mechanisms. I know these movements inside out!
    However I have come across an issue - I want to know why a movement that I recently serviced 'clicks' during the hour strike? There was nothing catching anywhere BUT as the clock struck the hours there was an audible click (or clonk, whatever you want to call it).
    I have done serviced and repaired loads and loads of these movements over the years but never heard this noise before during the hour strike!
    Can someone just confirm that the strike warning pin is best set in the top position (ie at 12 o clock position) when setting the correct position of the gathering pallet? (ie at mid position)
    Thank you as always for any comments received.

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you see the wheels as it is striking? Chances are that pin is touching a stop lever slightly as the wheel turns. You should be able to see it jump.

NEW65 likes this.
  3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Could be a bent tooth. The timing of the clicking will coincide with the rate of rotation at the source of the sound.

At stop the warning pin should be 90 degrees from the stop lever. I remesh the gears rather than move the GP.

WIllie X

NEW65 likes this.
  4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes the fan will strike the plate as it's turning. Zero in on that area and see if that's what's going on.

NEW65 likes this.
  5. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And since it's a Hermle also check to see if the little pallet that's pushed by the strike star wheel has a slot worn through it. That can cause all sorts of interesting effects.

NEW65 likes this.
  6. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First, when the strike is locked, the strike warning pin should be set against the strike locking lever.
    Second, the clicking sound is usually caused by the rotating warning pin striking the warning lever. Check to see why the warning lever is not dropping down all of the way.

NEW65 likes this.
  7. dad1891

dad1891 Registered User

Feb 28, 2014
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    I ran across an Urgos 03082 that had a similar problem. Finally traced it to the "foot" of the click spring slightly rubbing against the second wheel. Bent the bottom of the foot slightly and the problem went away.

The thing that really drove me crazy is that when it would rub, the frequency of the clicks was fast enough that it made me think that the problem was in the upper part of the train.

NEW65 likes this.
  8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, stop and warn positions are automatic unless something is badly bent up ... what Mark said. :) Willie X

NEW65 likes this.
  9. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Willie - you mentioned in this thread that you do not remove the gathering pallet to make an adjustment BUT you remesh the gears?? Can you be more specific when you say 'remesh the gears' please?
    Thanks Willie :)

10. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not too hard with a plate spreader. Let the mainsprings down, take off the nearest nuts, pry the plates apart enough (with the plate spreader) to disengage one warning wheel pivot from a plate and thus unmesh it from its friends, rotate said warning wheel to the desired position, re-mesh it to its friends again, get the pivot back into the holes (check for neighboring wheels that may have strayed,) let the plate spreader loose, and replace the nuts.

But first figure out where your clicking is coming from, because the above procedure won't cure that.

M Kinsler

NEW65 likes this.
  11. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Mark K - I will try what you have suggested although I am always a bit apprehensive of separating the plates slightly to move gears around in case i slightly bend a pivot. I am very careful though so will try this out. Having said that removing the GP is not a big job but its not that easy to refit it in the 'ideal position', I find it quite a tedious job. I will message back and let you know how it goes. Thanks :)

12. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oddly enough it seems that the position of the gathering pallet isn't usually all that critical. It depends on the particular clock. The three-pin gp's on Chinese clock movements tend to be a bit cranky sometimes, however.

M Kinsler