Quarter repeating longcase

Rog

New User
Jul 1, 2022
Country
I am hoping for a long shot in my request for help. I have a circa 1690 London, 8-day longcase clock that originally incorporated a four bell pull quarter repeating mechanism, a rare feature in longcase clocks. Unfortunately, none of it remains only empty holes that witness what once was remain. The hole pattern suggests the repeating mechanism was fashioned akin to one found on a Daniel Quare month-going longcase. It is featured on YouTube as "Daniel Quare, London, Circa 1685 a marquetry month going longcase clock with pull quarter repeating".. It is currently for sale but my inquiry for additional photos of the movement has not produced results.

I am including a photo I have of a Quare movement with a 1/4 repeating function, it provides a good deal of insight, but more photos are needed to recreate the mechanism.

I am hoping someone has information, photos, sketches, or other resources to aid in recreating a Quare type repeating mechanism.

Quare.jpg

Reactions: Bernhard J.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Love to see photos of your clock Rog it sounds most interesting. We don't get to see many of that age and complexity on the BB.

Cheers
Dean

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Who made your clock, Rog?
I'm looking at a Quare (probably actually Windmills) in Hobson's Choice pp 74/75. ISBN 0 9508358 0 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-