quarter hour chime sequence ?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Tim S, Mar 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello, total novice here. Recently acquired this beautiful Gustav Becker clock with a quarter hour repeating chime. My question is, is there a certain number of chimes for the quarter hour? Seems like it chimes once on quarter, 2 on 1/2, once on 3/4, and twice on hour. Also, the hammer for the hour chime seems to be resting on the chime bar itself ( gong seems rather anemic and flat). any way to adjust that ? any help greatly appreciated

clock 4.jpg clock 5.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Just bend the hammer shaft slightly so that after the hammer has struck it returns to a position just above the gong rod.

It looks as if you may have a Westminster chime, but I can't see the chime rods. How many are there? Are some of the hammers missing the rods? Are some rods missing?

Some clearer photos would help.

JTD

3. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tim,

It's probably a Grande sonnerie; the first quarter hour strikes once, 2nd quarter strikes twice, third quarter strikes three times and the fourth quarter strikes four times. After every quarter hour strike, the hour will strike (on a separate gong). These movements are sometimes referred to as a "Blindman's Clock".

Bill

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    That's also a possibility, but it still doesn't account for the strange striking pattern Tim mentioned.

JTD

5. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JTD,

It's possible the quarter strike is malfunctioning. I had a very similar problem with a GS movement (inconsistent quarter hour striking). They can be temperamental.

Tim S, can we see a photo of the dial side of the movement in your clock?

Bill

6. Tim S

Tim S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it is a grand sonier (forgot to mention that) with two chime rods. I've heard it chime at the hour four times , usually at 1 ( and the hour will chime 12 times), any other quarter hour is hit or miss, very random. the question I had about the hammers, pic 6 is the quarter chime, pic 7 is the hour. chime block is labeled triumph, if that means anything. Not sure what you mean a pic of the movement behind the dial, if it means taking the face off or the movement out of clock ?, don't think I could do that

clock 6.jpg clock 7.jpg