Quality of my graver

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ozzy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ozzy

ozzy Registered User

Jan 21, 2007
    I have found repeatedly that my graver is unable to remover broken balance staffs. ( I can MAKE staffs with little difficulty)
    I am using a graver made by E C Muller.
    Is this product of good quality?
    Who is the best maker?

2. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't used Muller gravers, but I think they have a decent reputation. You can make your own, there are a number of source that discuss making them from tool steel (W1 and O1). I use carbide as I haven't had much luck keeping the edge of the tool intact when trying to cut out a balance with a steel graver. Watch material houses carry the carbide gravers under the names Waller and Widea (sp?).

3. LarFure

LarFure Registered User

Nov 30, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I ran into this problem too. The steel gravers were never tough enough,and the carbide gravers chipped too easily. I found this article,and have purchased the cobalt gravers the author suggest. They are much more durable than the steel gravers and don't chip as easily as the carbide ones do.
    http://www.sherline.com/gravers.htm

4. bchaps

bchaps Registered User

Dec 16, 2001
    Mountain Top, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with LarFure...a sharp pointed Carbide will chip at the tip if you aren't extremely cautious. On the other hand, nothing else cuts like carbide! I regularly burnish the staff while using tool steel and must rely on carbide to cut through the hardened portion anyway, so carbide is my choice graver. However, a diamond sharpening wheel is mandatory. I'm still searching for a tough, durable carbide product.