• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

quality level of this Swiss watch

Alan G

NAWCC Member
Jul 5, 2013
A friend has sent me photos of a Swiss watch he inherited--just wanted to know if it was of high-enough quality to warrant repair. My first reaction was that it was an inexpensive watch made for export. The case is marked "Lutz Brothers, Locle" and "detached lever, 13 Jewels"

I'm not sure if I am attaching photos correctly, so I'll start out with just one to see if it works.

Movement DSCF5866 (1).JPG

Alan G

NAWCC Member
Jul 5, 2013
A friend has sent me photos of a Swiss watch he inherited--just wanted to know if it was of high-enough quality to warrant repair. My first reaction was that it was an inexpensive watch made for export. The case is marked "Lutz Brothers, Locle" and "detached lever, 13 Jewels"

I'm not sure if I am attaching photos correctly, so I'll start out with just one to see if it works.

View attachment 738713
Here are additional photos

View attachment 738713

Attachments

Alan G

NAWCC Member
Jul 5, 2013
Well, if you click on the ZIP file, you can open the four photos he sent me. I can't figure out any other way to send them.

i was surprised by the face of the watch--not what I was expecting. Except for the face, I thought it looked like an inexpensive watch made for export. He mentioned that the inside case cover said "K18"--he wondered if that meant 18K gold. I told him I had heard that these marks were often fake.

The watch doesn't currently work, and from his description, I think it needs a new mainspring and a new staff. It doesn't seem to have any great sentimental value to him. The watchmaker I normally use will only do American movements. My friend, by the way, lives in Toronto. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Alan Goebes

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Country
Region
The watch appears to be a typical Swiss bar movement aimed at the English-speaking market, as show by the English inscription. It is worth a little more than the net scrap value of the case. 95-99% of pocket watches are worth little more (perhaps as much as $300) than the scrap value of their cases. We collectors hate to see pocket watches scrapped or discard, but that is the inevitable fate of many pocket watches, such as this one, that have little value to collectors, little sentimental value, and that need repairs to run properly. The cost of having a professional restore this watch will exceed the value of the movement.

Reactions: roughbarked

Alan G

NAWCC Member
Jul 5, 2013
The watch appears to be a typical Swiss bar movement aimed at the English-speaking market, as show by the English inscription. It is worth a little more than the net scrap value of the case. 95-99% of pocket watches are worth little more (perhaps as much as $300) than the scrap value of their cases. We collectors hate to see pocket watches scrapped or discard, but that is the inevitable fate of many pocket watches, such as this one, that have little value to collectors, little sentimental value, and that need repairs to run properly. The cost of having a professional restore this watch will exceed the value of the movement.
That's what I initially told him, but wanted to be sure, since I only collect American.

Re the "K18" mark--fake or purposely misleading? Seems doubtful that a cheap watch would be in a solid-gold case...

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Alan,
Seems doubtful that a cheap watch would be in a solid-gold case...
They often are, but many of the cases at the cheaper end are pretty thin and flimsy. They were sold on their external appearance more than the quality of the movements. Having said that, you're right to be sceptical of the actual purity of the metal which does sometimes test at a lower value than the marking claims.

Regards,

Graham

Incroyable

NAWCC Member
Jun 26, 2022
Country
Hi Alan,

They often are, but many of the cases at the cheaper end are pretty thin and flimsy. They were sold on their external appearance more than the quality of the movements. Having said that, you're right to be sceptical of the actual purity of the metal which does sometimes test at a lower value than the marking claims.

Regards,

Graham
I've also seen many push button repeaters in the same kind of thin coppery looking gold cases.

Incroyable

NAWCC Member
Jun 26, 2022
Country
It was an established practice, gold case and a modest movement inside. People flaunted the gold of the case very few people cared about movement.
Regards enrico
It's similar to those very ornamental gold watch dials and cases. Almost all of them contain very mediocre movements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent