quail problem

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by CJo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CJo

CJo Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Operator in an Ethanol plant. I train new operator
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm working on a cuckoo/quail and somehow or someone, removed the loop on the end of the lift for the quail. Just wondering how would be the best way to repair this. I've thought about it a lot, but would like your input. Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If memory serves, that lever should interact with and lift the long loop on the other side. I believe that's what activates the cuckoo after the quail call. You could use a tube to solder on an extension to what you have, or make a new wire.

3. nsc5

nsc5 Registered User

Jan 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    There is a video on Youtube of your movement that shows the part, I found it while looking for info on my quail cuckoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhde6rx3F2A As shutterbug suggested the easiest approach is to solder a tube and extension piece in place.

4. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    One always wonders why people do such things:???:
    "Dang, I hate this wire. I'll snip it off. There, I feel much better."
    Tinker Dwight

5. nsc5

nsc5 Registered User

Jan 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I guess the previous owner really hated the chirping sound from the quail...

Sometimes things people do defy explanation. I restore a lot of vintage ham radio gear from the 1930s and 1940s and one of the really nice looking radios from that era is the National NC-100X with an art deco silver, black, and red front panel with a green "magic eye" tube. I picked up one for a parts unit because a previous owner not only drilled a hole through the front panel for an added control he chose to drill it right through the styled National diamond logo.

6. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The OP is correct . The loop end has been cut . That top lever is not the cuckoo trip lever . The video cited gives the form and length of wire needed . Cuckoo trip lever is further down the wheel train .

7. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have had three cuckoo clocks so far where the owner cut off the tail flip wire "because it was in the way"

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    That cut one is just for the bellows. The long curved brass lever is pushed down by the pins sticking out
    of the quail's count wheel and is what trips the cuckoo. It is clearly seen in the picture.
    Tinker Dwight