• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Quail-Cuckoo Clock

armyguber

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2019
Country
I recently acquired a ‘Quail-Cuckoo’ clock, circa 1900-1910. The works are all fine except for one of the bellows in which the paper is fragile & tearing. In prepping to replace the bellows I discovered that the top of the bellows are not rectangular, but trapezoidal in shape. I’ve never seen trapezoidal bellows and doubt I can find modern replacements. Should I avoid replacing them in order to maintain the clock’s authenticity?

Quail-Cuckoo.jpg Quail-Cuckoo.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The bellow tops you seek are available in both tyvec and leather. They are much more pricey than the more common rectangular tops but I do not recommend changing to the rectangular bellows on an old clock to save a few bucks.

If you are up for a challenge, your old tops can be recovered with new material.
Look up "recovering cuckoo bellows".

WIllie X

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
I agree that as long as the wood part is in good shape, it is easy to repair/replace bellows fabric material. It looks like a complicated pattern, but it is simply a rectangle flanked by two isosceles triangles with the short side against the rectangle.

cuckoo bellows pattern - Google Search

On the rectangular top, the isosceles triangles are identical. On the the trapezoidal, which are common on older clocks so not rare, the triangles have to correspond to the lengths of the sides, which are slightly different.

Tom

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I'm working on a large 8-day cuckoo. It's from 1958 and has triangle bellows. I didn't know the triangle shaped bellows were used that late.

WIllie X

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
I was just trying to figure out what the hinge might look like...

BTW, armyguber - it looks like a really nice clock, made when the carvings were very well done. Can't find that any more these days.

Tom

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Or, 'truncated trapazoid'. I kinda like that one better.

WIllie X

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12