qte. Monard Pocket Watch Info Needed

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Evan Detwiler, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Evan Detwiler

Evan Detwiler New Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Good day to you all. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this pocket watch that has been handed down to me from my boss at work. Any information is helpful! I have attached photos. IMG_6271.JPG IMG_6272.JPG IMG_6274.JPG IMG_6275.JPG IMG_6277.JPG IMG_6278.JPG IMG_6271.JPG IMG_6272.JPG IMG_6274.JPG IMG_6275.JPG IMG_6277.JPG IMG_6278.JPG

viclip likes this.
  2. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Where do I send my resume to get a job working for your boss?

Man that's quite a hand-me-down!

3. Evan Detwiler

Evan Detwiler New Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hehe...
    Do you think this is worth getting an appraisal? It works fine but is a bit slow over 24 hrs.

4. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    On the face of it you have a high quality 22-jewel lever escapement apparently Swiss movement, housed in a solid 14K case. I'd think that this would be a valuable watch which you should ensure is covered by your home owner's or renter's insurance policy, which may require an appraisal as per instructions from your agent.

We can't get into evaluating dollar amounts in this thread but I'd be interested in the reaction of other board members as to the quality & desirability of this stunner of a watch.

Can you provide some measurements for your watch?

Incidentally if the watch is losing time then it likely hasn't been serviced in a while. I'd let it run down & then take it to a good watchmaker for cleaning/oiling/ adjusting before starting it up again. Running a watch with dirty gummy oil can cause serious wear to its moving parts, just like running your car engine with filthy old oil in it.

5. Whereisitat

Whereisitat Registered User

Mar 14, 2017
    Country Flag:
    A "Grand" watch indeed.

One thing of note the case has a rope theme with the bow & rim-perhaps nautical.

A very nice watch & excellent advice above. If unknown when it was done have it serviced. This may also reveal any makers marks that are often hidden. I would seek a referral from one of the members here as for a competent repair person.