QCTP for Sherline

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Greetings. Can someone tell me where to find a Quick Change Tool Post for my Sherline lathe? I've found many that are listed as compatible with mini-lathes, but few listed as compatible with the Sherline. Any help would be appreciated, particularly if you actually own and use one.

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
If Kevin's isnt an option there is always going directly to Sherline.... Actually to save a few bucks you can buy anything Sherline via Butterworth's, Merritts' or Timesaver's.... Just sayin..... Remember, rumor has it that if you have a cross feed you need to get one of those gizmos from Sherline that raises up the tool post so it will be in alignment.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Greetings. Can someone tell me where to find a Quick Change Tool Post for my Sherline lathe? I've found many that are listed as compatible with mini-lathes, but few listed as compatible with the Sherline. Any help would be appreciated, particularly if you actually own and use one.
Kieth
Sherline provides a steel constructed QCTP designed specifically for the the Sherline lathe.

While I do not use a QCTP on Sherline and similar size lathes (Will explain if you wish), I happen to use a A2Z on my Chinese Mini lathe per your request. Attached photo.
This Lathe is only used for non critical type work as it is not capable of consistent quality machining. If the Lathe were used for critical work, its design would not be repeatable or rigid enough to transmit lathe capabilities as with many of the inexpensive units, but is suitable for what I do on the Lathe.

I have never had to raise a tool post on any of my Sherline lathes to use any Sherline accessories in the last forty years I have used them.

I am curious why you need a QCTP on a Sherline Lathe.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_85b.jpeg

Reactions: Keith Doster

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
Sorry -- compound slide not cross feed....

Taken from the Sherline WWW page ....."

Adding a Tool Post to the Compound Slide
In 2017, we modified the design of the compound slide to accommodate our Quick-Change Tool Post (P/N 2250) using a 10-32 x 2″ SHC Screw* (P/N 40730, sold separately).​

*NOTE: You must use the Headstock Riser Block (P/N 1297) to use the Quick-Change Tool Post, or any other tool post, when mounting the post on the compound slide. Other tool posts may need to be modified to get your cutter on centerline. Click the Instructions tab above for further details on using the compound slide and quick-change tool post.

Just sayin....

Reactions: Keith Doster

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Sorry -- compound slide not cross feed....

Taken from the Sherline WWW page ....."

Adding a Tool Post to the Compound Slide
In 2017, we modified the design of the compound slide to accommodate our Quick-Change Tool Post (P/N 2250) using a 10-32 x 2″ SHC Screw* (P/N 40730, sold separately).​

*NOTE: You must use the Headstock Riser Block (P/N 1297) to use the Quick-Change Tool Post, or any other tool post, when mounting the post on the compound slide. Other tool posts may need to be modified to get your cutter on centerline. Click the Instructions tab above for further details on using the compound slide and quick-change tool post.

Just sayin....
Rob
When utilizing the Sherline lathe in its normal configuration as it comes from the factory, it should be pointed out that no Riser Block is required to use Any Sherline Lathe accessory including Quick change or compound slide.

What you are referring to comes from the compound slide instructions. In this case unlike any other Lathe, you can mount the quick change post on top of the compound slide for whatever reason if desired or required. In order to assure tool center line under this unusual and special configuration, a special spacer plate is required as covered in the Compound slide instructions.

Jerry Kieffer

Last edited:

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Kieth
Sherline provides a steel constructed QCTP designed specifically for the the Sherline lathe.

While I do not use a QCTP on Sherline and similar size lathes (Will explain if you wish), I happen to use a A2Z on my Chinese Mini lathe per your request. Attached photo.
This Lathe is only used for non critical type work as it is not capable of consistent quality machining. If the Lathe were used for critical work, its design would not be repeatable or rigid enough to transmit lathe capabilities as with many of the inexpensive units, but is suitable for what I do on the Lathe.

I have never had to raise a tool post on any of my Sherline lathes to use any Sherline accessories in the last forty years I have used them.

I am curious why you need a QCTP on a Sherline Lathe.

Jerry Kieffer

View attachment 658290
Hey Jerry. To address your curiosity, the QCTP is not a "need" as much as a "want". It is purely for the sake of simplifying my life just a little bit. I'm curious about how it works and if I don't really see any genuine advantage for me, I suspect I'll sell it. But I'd like to try it!

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Made one myself some 20 years ago and would not want to be without it anymore ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timemaestro
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre